Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for an easy-to-use call for my son. Everytime he uses mine it sounds like a goose just swallowed a tennis ball! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
57 Posts
What call are you using that hes having trouble with? Your best bet is to get somewhere that has a good selection of calls and let him try a bunch out. Some are deffinately easier to blow than others or can easily be tuned to his liking. Thats better than taking someones opinion you know what those are like!:lol:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
2 easy ones i have found for kids is the eastern shoremen and any tradition or 2 note call. I prefer the Scobey one

·
Registered
270 Posts
i think every guy in the honker hanger crew started out with either the haydels h-81 or haydels magnum honker, and they are still on everyones lanyard. $16 at gander mt. and they work.
~chris

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
HS short reed -- the "canada slammer" is the name i believe. 20$ at GM.
Cutt-Down has a decent short reed also in the 20$ range.

And for the record I can't even blow a big river flute...:bash: - short reeds - no prob thank goodness ;)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I blow all short reeds now but used to have success with the Big River flute, i never had a problem with it....out of my short reeds my Mick Lacy Chinook seems to be the easiest to sound goosey with.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
bartley said:
i think every guy in the honker hanger crew started out with either the haydels h-81 or haydels magnum honker, and they are still on everyones lanyard. $16 at gander mt. and they work.
~chris
Mines still hanging there too..!

I just gave my son a RNT Quackhead Goozilla. I don't think it is an easy call though. It needs tuning, and a bit more experience to use.

·
Habitual outdoorsman
988 Posts
Short reed calls are easier to blow in terms of the amount of air & ooomph you gotta put into them, but take more time to master all the goose sounds. Not sure exactly what angle you are asking about or what kind of call he is using of yours, but it sounds like he is a novice anyway and that he is not getting enough air through. If he is going to be serious about this goose hunting thing, he is really going to want to invest the time in learning the short reed! Good, inexpensive options there have been mentioned already

·
Registered
908 Posts
If your going to be a serious goose hunter start him out with a short reed. I bought my son a HS slammer also. But...... He can cluck with my Meatgrinder Foils better. Im just not ready to spend 150.00 bones for my son at 7rys old

·
Registered
141 Posts
lewiscustomcalls.com he is out of kalamazoo and makes a great short reed and fairly inexpensive compared to the other high end makers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
lewiss call is very good and not to bad to use. its the one i have started with and is pretty easy to blow. the big river is probably the least expensive and easy to learn on though.

good luck we all know it is so much fun trying to learn :dizzy:

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
start with something cheap and forgiving.

like under $25. just something to cut his teeth on then graduate up as he progresses.

someone mentioned a slammer - that's a decent starter

Mag clucker by knight n' hale (many guys use (or at least used to) use their guts in their "custom" calls.

the flock talk is a pretty easy call as well. very forgiving - you just can't do a whole lot with it down the road.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I am having fun learning on my Mick Lacy SR. Fairly cheap I think like 29.00 bucks at the beginning of the season. Good luck you will have fun learning and might want to give up and go back to a flute...DONT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts