Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in helping out with some goose banding down at Pt. Mouillee SGMA?

Once again, Joe Robison was nice enough to reschedule the banding to be over a weekend vs. a weekday. (I think he appreciates all the FREE help! :p )

If you're interested in helping out with a goose round-up and banding, we will meet at the Pt. Mouillee headquarters at 6:00 am on June 23rd. I think we banded 200-250 geese last year. I think we could've done more.

wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty, hippers or summer waders would be helpful to bring with you if you have them and I highly recommend a long sleeve shirt. (goose toe nails can leave some nasty scratches)

It's a fun time and you can get some great exposure to waterfowl managment efforts by the MDNR and Goose biology

WHEN: SATURDAY, JUNE 23RD
WHERE: PT. MOUILLEE SGMA, (OFF EXIT 26, I-75)
TIME: BE THERE AT 6:00 AM

Pte. Mouillee State Game Area
37205 Mouillee Rd.
Rockwood, MI 48173
Office (734) 379-9692
Fax (734) 379-9432

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

it's important to have an accurate count on coverage so that Joe can properly layout the plan of attack. Not enough guys, then we have a problem, so....

If you sign up below, I'm expecting to see you there. Don't leave us hanging!

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
If I can manage it, I would love to participate. Do you think I could bring my 8 yr old son too?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Zach and I will be there for sure.

I may have another guy along with us as well.

I will also metion it to some of the GDHA guys and hopefully some of them can make it as well.

A reminder as it gets closer would also be appreciated!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I should be able to assist and I will try to coax my daughter to help as well (19 years old). Sounds like an excellent experience.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
me and the boy will be there again this year had a great time last year. hey branta can you find some pictures form last year while we were banding? it would be great if you could find the one where my boy is being pooped on by a yearling:lol: .thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
The wife and I wanted to help out last year but were out of town; this year looks clear! A little work for a great cause sounds like a good way to spend a Saturday!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Does anyone know how late in the day this goes? I have a 6 pm ceremony I have to be home for. But it would be fun to help with this. Steve

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to reduce the stress put on the young and to beat the heat of the day, we'd be wrapping things up well before noon.

hope to see you and your boy there.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Branta said:
to reduce the stress put on the young and to beat the heat of the day, we'd be wrapping things up well before noon.
QUOTE]

Which is when the food provided by Branta will be ready.................

·
Registered
951 Posts
As long as nothing comes up I will try to be there again this year. Branta, are we allowed to shoot carp in those ponds?:confused: There sure were a lot jumpin around last year.:evil:

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kcud rellik said:
As long as nothing comes up I will try to be there again this year. Branta, are we allowed to shoot carp in those ponds?:confused: There sure were a lot jumpin around last year.:evil:

I'd check with Joe, but I don't see why not!
(nothing like having a big carp just about jump into the kayak with you!)

truth be known, I'm kinda getting into that carp stickin' - it's like hunting... only fishing! :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do we need to bring anything along besides waders? Also, where do you guys meet up? Parking lot? I will be coming alone and do not know the area very well, have only hunted there once.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If I don't have to work im in. It's a really neat time. If done at the state game area its cool to see the area from on top of the dike roads. a low flying birds eye view.:yikes: Its also neat for kids, But keep in mind the geese spook easy and run,over heat :confused: So if the are out of control it's a bad time for everyone/thing. cheap rain gear and along sleve shirt are two things i like to have.Rain gear for goose poop and the shirt for toe nails.

I really hope to be there..

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a reminder to all -

we'll be banding this coming saturday at Pt. Mouillee and some surrounding areas (time permitting).

Let's have a good showing!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts