Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i've been searching the internet for web sites to lease land in MI and haven't really had much success so if anyone out their has some good sites it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
there are some ads in the woods and water magazine. there is a company that started not to long ago advertising there that specializes in leases all over michigan.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Thats what I was hoping for but I really haven't seen any listings, how should I go about that?

Get a platt book for the area you would like to hunt. Locate the property you would like to hunt. Each property boundry will be shown in the book also stating the owner(s) and acreage size.
From here you have to find a way to locate and contact the owner, not all land owners live on their property. Once you have done that if you can get a phone number you could call or you could knock on their door.
The best way is to write up a letter stating what your intentions are and mail it to them.

Example (caution very brief and casual example........put more thought and effort into it than my example)

Dear Mr. Landowner,

My name is Joe Hunter I am very interisted in possibly obtaining permission to hunt your property located at Big woods, Michigan by leasing the hunting rights.
I would like to meet with you and see if we can work out some type of agreement. I will come by on Saturday January 15, 2011 at 2 pm to talk to you. If this will not be a good time or if you are not interisted please give me a call at (734) 555-5555.
Thank you for your time,
Joe Hunter.

By writing a letter and anouncing when you plan to arrive the land owner will be ready for you and will know why you are on his door step.

Cold calling land owners is another way but IMO you will come off more like a telemarketer. Also just knocking on doors.......you never know if you show up at a bad time.

Be sure you tell every one you know you are interisted in leasing the hunting rights, you never know who might be able to help you out.

You more than likely will hear alot of "no's" , but don't let that discourage you.

Another pointer I can think of is when using a platte book try to pick the landowners that own the most land. If they or their friends and family hunt their property, the more they have the more they might be willing to lease out some of it and keep the rest for themselves.
Remember though when leasing, it is their property and they will ask what they think is reasonable. If it is too much in you opinion, just say that is too far out of your price range. They might give you a chance to counter offer and then you will have a better idea of what they might except due to hearing their first offering.
Even if told no leave your name and phone number, you never know they might change their mind down the road.
Also be sure you have cash on hand, be 100% honest about your intentions, be 100% sure on what they expect of you, and ALWAYS RESPECT THEIR WISHES AND FOLLOW THEIR RULES.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts