Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew asked me to take him out fishing tomorrow and I do not have access to a boat so I am looking for a good spot to fish from land. I live downriver and don't mind a little drive. I have never done much fishing from land. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
how far is far to drive to go fishing? Bishop park is alright with night crawlers on the bottom you can fish from the docks, but there are alot of snags, you could go to flat rock park and fish the river or the back waters there will be more kinds of fish to target at falt rock

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
How old is your nephew? What downriver city are you in?

Willow Metro Park (I 275 south of Huron River Drive) has a pond that should make for some reliable fishing for a youngster. Lots of panfish for your nephew and a few good size bass for you. There are some small cats in there as well. Fish the corner to the left of the boat dock for some panfish with bobbers.

Hurock park (Telegraph at Huron River Drive) is another choice if you don't mind catching rock bass and some small mouth of you know where to look.

Carp and small panfish can be found at Sterling State Park.

HTH,

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is 9 and I live in Woodhaven. I have fished Huroc park before but it has been years. The Metroparks kind of slipped my mind. What about Ford lake in Belleville or is it not worth the drive.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Ford lake has alot of carp. We've been catching around 5 or more per trip using plain corn covering the hook. Just hang on to the pole our ave fish has been 30 inches. Seen alot of pan fish caught on hook and worm too.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I tried Ford Lake (at Ford Lake park on Huron River Drive) a few weeks ago for (beleive it or not) Carp. Got six kinds of skunked. Might have been the wrong time of day, who knows.

In Woodhaven, you could try Elizabeth Park. Its free and there are always peope fishing off the walk behind the Admin building. You could try near the bridge or at the foot bridge east of the entrance near the mouth of the canal. There doesn't seem to be much pressure this time of year.

Good luck and have fun.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts