Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out this morning by myself without a dog and actually did alright. I got one young rooster, missed another:-(, flushed one 40 yds ahead of me, heard one cackling for about 2 minutes in my field but never located him and heard one flush wild early on. Not too bad for 2.5 hours of hunting.

So, I saw 3 birds, and heard 2. Next week with 2 more guys and 2 dogs should be much better...I hope.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I was on some private land near Mayville this morning. Got two nice roosters. We missed a couple others and had 4-5 rooster flush wild ahead of the dog. Plus we had at least 6-8 points on hens. The most wild birds that I have seen in Michigan in years. Over all a very nice warm up for SD this coming week.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Ruger and I hit public land this morning. Only had a couple hours before work. No birds. No other hunters either. Had a nice time though. Good opportunity to reinforce some obedience under distractions and get some exercise. He healed nicely without a leash the entire length of a cut bean field on our way to some more cover.

I have tomorrow off and have some private land spots lined up that I saw good numbers (for MI anyway) of birds on during turkey season. Keeping my fingers crossed. This is Ruger’s first go around with wild birds. Add to that the fact that these birds seem to be born with track shoes on and well...

Glad to hear others are seeing birds.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Its nice to hear a good report.

I had to work this morning, but everyone that I've talked to were pretty down about the number of birds they saw. I had almost made up my mind to stick to H20fowl this season. Thanks for giving me some motivation.

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Q2XL, were you on public or private?

I might have an opportunity to check out some private land pheasant this weekend, but I haven't heard back from the guy.

My school's shut down through the end of the week due to swine flu, so I'll definitely be out the next couple days at least running the dogs. Not really any places to go around here for pheasant, but I might be able to find some woodies if I really search!

KW

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Ruger and Kilian each got 2 birds yesterday on public land. Seen a few others as well.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Hunted prime southern MI yesterday, long drive down and back but hey at some point there won't be any pheasants left to hunt in MI so my brother and I made the trip.

We were hunting Lenawee County, hunted four spots ranging from 160 acre block of CRP to probaly 20 acres of buffer strips with two more CRP plots inbetween.

First spot we moved five birds and I missed an easy rooster. Second spot we did not move a bird, this used to be as good a spot as we have. Third spot two hens and a smart rooster who backdoored out the other side of some pines. Fourth spot we moved a group of 8-10 and connected on two.

Wish I could have stayed to hunt the afternoon but had to get home.

Overall in that area, CRP continues to be put back into crop lands, drove by probaly 600 acres of land we used to hunt when it was grass it is all grain now. Numbers were up over last year but down about 60% over the ten year average in the areas we hunt.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Overall in that area, CRP continues to be put back into crop lands, drove by probaly 600 acres of land we used to hunt when it was grass it is all grain now. Numbers were up over last year but down about 60% over the ten year average in the areas we hunt.
Tell me about it. My lease went from 500 acres of CRP to 60 this year. Makes my stomach turn every time I'm there. This was the first year we haven't shot 3 or 4 roosters on opening day. In fact we got shut out but I did pass on a 35 yard straight away. Save him for later and a better shot. It's very depressing to see great habitat go back under the plow.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Hit many fields in the thumb 1st 2 days, great cover (public&private) places that always held birds. Only ended up shooting and flushing 1 rooster. Normally, I would find spots in the grass where birds roosted for the night and hear a distance rooster cackling, but this year nothing, just that 1 rooster (not very promising). Although, there was still a ton of corn, maybe the late season will be better.(??) Perhaps the rain this week and the crops will save the very few birds that are still out there.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hit many fields in the thumb 1st 2 days, great cover (public&private) places that always held birds. Only ended up shooting and flushing 1 rooster. Normally, I would find spots in the grass where birds roosted for the night and hear a distance rooster cackling, but this year nothing, just that 1 rooster (not very promising). Although, there was still a ton of corn, maybe the late season will be better.(??) Perhaps the rain this week and the crops will save the very few birds that are still out there.
Yup, this rain is really going to keep the corn in the field. Few guys are even done with beans. I do think that if the crops come out and we get a couple inches of snow on the ground, the Dec hunt is going to be good. Until then, it is going to be rough sledding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts