Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow's the day we wait all year for! I hope that everyone has good luck, great times, and a safe day. Ill be out solo in the AM checking out a new spot. It looks so good from the trail I didn't even want to disturb it before the season, so we will see how it goes. I should be able to hunt until around noon, and then maybe again for an hour or 2 in the evening. Ill report back on my findings and hope you guys do the same!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Good luck to all that's getting out. I'm working my ars off this month to have Oct and Nov off. Looking forward to pics of your hunt and dogs, love them.

Reactions: michiganmaniac

·
Registered
852 Posts
Good luck all. Eager to see the reports. Stuck at work today. To short staffed to take off. Gonna try to get out tomorrow. Also going to make up for missed time in October when staffing should be better.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got out for about 2 and a half hours of ground time this morning. I was hoping to hunt for longer but I am sick and I didn't want to push myself too hard.

At my first spot I hunted my older dog and we were in there for about and a half. I flushed 4 broods of grouse (averaging 6 birds) and 5 singles. I fired a grand total of ONE shot at grouse, and it was a miss. They were all very jumpy and were flushing before I could even get around the dog. I also flushed 6 or 7 woodcock, fired at 2, and managed to scratch one down. All the grouse were along alder edges.

At my next spot I put my puppy Ezra down. He bumped 2 grouse before he finally pointed one, and thankfully my aim was true! He got his first grouse. I also foot flushed a couple birds on our way out that I let fly. This spot is a traditional aspen cut on an alder edge, the birds were not necessarily on the edge, but were near it.

The woods were soaking wet, I came out drenched head to toe, but it was worth it! It's grouse season again!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I got out for about 2 and a half hours of ground time this morning. I was hoping to hunt for longer but I am sick and I didn't want to push myself too hard.

At my first spot I hunted my older dog and we were in there for about and a half. I flushed 4 broods of grouse (averaging 6 birds) and 5 singles. I fired a grand total of ONE shot at grouse, and it was a miss. They were all very jumpy and were flushing before I could even get around the dog. I also flushed 6 or 7 woodcock, fired at 2, and managed to scratch one down. All the grouse were along alder edges.

At my next spot I put my puppy Ezra down. He bumped 2 grouse before he finally pointed one, and thankfully my aim was true! He got his first grouse. I also foot flushed a couple birds on our way out that I let fly. This spot is a traditional aspen cut on an alder edge, the birds were not necessarily on the edge, but were near it.

The woods were soaking wet, I came out drenched head to toe, but it was worth it! It's grouse season again!
Great report! Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My dog is still in heat so I'm staying out of the woods for a bit. I have no need for a litter of brittshorthairs etc.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I shot two...nice aspens. Four other flushes heard but not seen. Yes, I have flushing labradors, not pointers. Lots of soil moisture from the multi0inch rainfall two days ago, Glad I took some walleye out for dinner before I left with the dogs this morning. Spotty acorns is the report, but I am seeing them wherever they were abundant last year.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Birds were jumpy? Was this the same area everyone ran on labor day? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Lol nope. I have stated many times on this forum that I never run my hunting spots in the off season. The first spot I went into I had never stepped foot in in my life. I drove by it while scouting this off-season and decided it looked so good there was no reason to go in and check, its bird holding capacities were almost a guarantee. I guess I was right!

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Lol nope. I have stated many times on this forum that I never run my hunting spots in the off season. The first spot I went into I had never stepped foot in in my life. I drove by it while scouting this off-season and decided it looked so good there was no reason to go in and check, its bird holding capacities were almost a guarantee. I guess I was right!
Not to mention that the labor day spot is about 5 hrs away!
Lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hunted hard all day. Moved 7 grouse and about a dozen woodcock. My pup had his first 2 points on woodcock. The second one he was steady through the shot. I felt pretty terrible when I missed and the dog was still standing on point giving me that look. My friends dog did well also. Had a great time even though I didn’t take a single bird. Already looking forward to the next trip.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts