Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the picture quality of the homebrews a lot compared to anything else I've seen,but way to clumsy to attempt a build myself.Any personal experience or recommends for a good prebuilt trailcam builder?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Having owned both and now owning a commercially bought cam, You need to figure out what you time will allow. The reason is simply this, I have built 3-4 sony cams with kits online and yes they are fairly easy to build but you need to have some skills with soldering etc. AND then there is battery life which was my deciding factor. Most of the cams run on AA batts and love to drain these very quickly. I was sick and tired of checking my cams and find them to be Dead. I have a small fortune in NIMH AA batts that now get used for other chores in the household.

I chose to give up a little pic quality for longevity and long term useage. I have 4 Stealthcams and get great batery life out of them. I have had a camera out for over 3 months now with the original 8 D cell batts in them. Probably 700+ pics and still has battery life left. Many of the new cams out this year claim long batt life but we will have to see the real results.

In my opinon I am not framing or hangin these pictures on the wall , I am useing this as a scouting tool.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
rcdan-o said:
Having owned both and now owning a commercially bought cam, You need to figure out what you time will allow. The reason is simply this, I have built 3-4 sony cams with kits online and yes they are fairly easy to build but you need to have some skills with soldering etc. AND then there is battery life which was my deciding factor. Most of the cams run on AA batts and love to drain these very quickly. I was sick and tired of checking my cams and find them to be Dead. I have a small fortune in NIMH AA batts that now get used for other chores in the household.

I chose to give up a little pic quality for longevity and long term useage. I have 4 Stealthcams and get great batery life out of them. I have had a camera out for over 3 months now with the original 8 D cell batts in them. Probably 700+ pics and still has battery life left. Many of the new cams out this year claim long batt life but we will have to see the real results.

In my opinon I am not framing or hangin these pictures on the wall , I am useing this as a scouting tool.
You could get the same life if not longer with the homebrews by adding external batteries. I have also used the Energizer E2 Litium AA batteries in my Sonys when it was well below zero for an extended period. Got 7 weeks and over 400 pictures. I bet the 8 D cell batteries cost more than the 2 AA Lithium batteries. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rcdan-o said:

Something to also consider. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terrific_tom said:
You could get the same life if not longer with the homebrews by adding external batteries. I have also used the Energizer E2 Litium AA batteries in my Sonys when it was well below zero for an extended period. Got 7 weeks and over 400 pictures. I bet the 8 D cell batteries cost more than the 2 AA Lithium batteries. Just my opinion.
Got your pm Tom and replied to you.Thank you.I have not heard of anyone having real battery issues with a homebrew,glad you haven't either. don

·
Registered
430 Posts
not trying to start an argument here at all guys just sharing my experince and monies that I feel wasted on building my own. I of all people love to build things and say I did it, but I was just really dissapointed. Good luck !!!!

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
rcdan-o said:
not trying to start an argument here at all guys just sharing my experince and monies that I feel wasted on building my own. I of all people love to build things and say I did it, but I was just really dissapointed. Good luck !!!!

I trust this guy!!! I have seen his stash!!:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts