Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm seeing a decent number of birds this year, it seems that I'm seeing 3-4X the hunters as last year.

Yesterday, I hit a cover that I've hunted the last four years for grouse (and almost 30) for deer and have never seen a bird hunter nor any evidence of one--I ran into one yesterday.

This A.M, I was back to my 4th choice before finding a bird hunter-free cover, and even then, saw a vehicle parked within 1/4 mile (assumed bird hunter)--again, I'd never seen another bird hunter there.

The stars may have been aligned just right for me the last couple weekends, but has anyone else noticed substantially more hunters this year and in places that you've never seen them (UP exlcuded)?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It was about the same as last year for me.....just a couple of other guys here and there. Maybe the guys that you bumped into are thinking the same thing as you :dizzy:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I saw none this year. Last year just a couple of road hunting locals. This year I met one pair of ATVers and saw a couple groups running hounds for bear.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Way less then last year.... I'm seeing about one other guy per day of hunting. I have not seen anyone, or much evidence, in the spots I hunt.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yup. seems like more hunters to me. nobody in my spots but seen a few more trucks normal with dog boxes in them on the 2 tracks. also run into a couple of guys in the clare rest area today from indiana that were up hunting grouse.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I saw quite a few last weekend, but today I didn't really see anyone maybe one other person and this is in cover that is the closest to good cover to Detroit and down state. However I did run into a couple people out hunting the youth deer season this morning

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think my hunters moved to your area. I covered quite a swath of stateland this weekend and didnt run into a single hunter. small game or youth deer. I heard minimal shots for such a nice weekend

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have not run into many other bird hunters this year compared with the last several years. We really have not heard much in the way of guns either. I think in my four hunts I have run into two other trucks with dogs and this includes two weekend hunts.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
I could hardly believe the number of hunters I saw saturday. I have never seem this many. I was appauled! Grouse numbers are worst I have seen in three years.

·
Registered
637 Posts
When I was in the UP last week I saw way more people than normal. We were quite a ways in off the beaten path, and even on dirtroads there were numerous hunters all over. On the last day I was in about fourty five minutes from the closest tar road, and way back in on a two track and a huge convoy of people from out of state(TN) came rolling up with four trucks, dog trailers, enclosed trailers, about four mules with dog boxes mounted on them, and numerous guys in each truck. Needless to say I wouldn't want to be hunting that area for the next month. I was way happier living in the unknown on that day.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...On the last day I was in about fourty five minutes from the closest tar road, and way back in on a two track and a huge convoy of people from out of state(TN) came rolling up with four trucks, dog trailers, enclosed trailers, about four mules with dog boxes mounted on them, and numerous guys in each truck. Needless to say I wouldn't want to be hunting that area for the next month. I was way happier living in the unknown on that day.
Holy crap! I've heard of these kinds of industrial grade grouse hunting
operations by out of staters, but have never experienced one.
Call me old-fashioned, but the ideal for me is one or two dogs (hopefully a pointing breed:D) with one or two hunters.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
More hunters this year than last, and lots of shooting. However, I've also been out more at this point than I had last year. The three or four groups that I've bumped into and actually talked to have all been locals and have all been extremely friendly. Maybe I'm the one adding to the pressure!:D

More birds too. As I've mentioned in other posts, I have been amazed with grouse numbers as compared to past years (though it may be more due to the dismal results I've had in past years!).

KW

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
There's been operations like that from Kentucky, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, all over in the Crystall Falls area for years. Thanks to certain overly helpful outdoor writers and national publications, that area has been widely promoted as the "mecca" of woodcock hunting, and so, the big operations, dudes in tow, meaning they make money off their hunting, are there.

I have seen two groups of bird hunters in the last two weeks. The birds are in the swamps when it's hot and dry, and in the food when it's cooler.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The guys fromTN sound like dog bear hunters to me expecially when you mention the enclosed trailer and the 4 wheelers.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Haven't been to my spots yet this year, but I usually only see bear hunters and hounds in my U.P. haunts. The only time I see bird hunters is at the bar for lunch. But, I don't know where they go - and they don't know where I go.:evilsmile I hope it hasn't changed by the time I land there this year...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have seen more hunters on the road, or at restaurants and such, but no idea where they go from there.

I will also say that I have seen WAY MORE bear hunters this year than ever before.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Thus far bird numbers ok and the honey holes that where pounded last year been left alone on the weekends but during the week another story.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts