Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really satisfied with my current knife? Any suggestions? I do like the gut hook. I don't care if it is foldable or not. Cost not an issuse ( I believe you get what you pay for).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I suggest the Buck Pro-Line zipper I've been using it for years as does my father.Keeps a good edge. I have the wood handle witch can become slippery while field dressing however looks darn good! I suggest the rubber handle for both gutting and skinning. And the gut hook works like a charm I've unzipped over a dozen deer and has never been sharpend.My2cents Banner

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm still looking for a decent knife also. I've got one that's half way decent, I forget what kind it is.

Don't get a Rapid River knife. They're expensive, and not worth what you pay. They don't sharpen well, and they don't hold an edge for anything. they look nice though. :sad:

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Outdoor Edge is plenty and wont break the bank.. I am not just saying this cause they sponsor us either.. They really are that good..

·
Registered
36 Posts
i've had my buck 110 or 112 i don't remember offhand but ive had it for 6-7 years and ive cleaned,deer,ducks,geese,squirrels,rabbits,and if i had to fish, as long as you keep it sharp,it'll do the job

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If cost is truly no issue go custom and get a really great knife. Do a web search and see some of the great knifesmiths out there.
Or, if you are crafty at all... Make you own, then you know what your getting.
Here are a few I have forged recently and gave to friends. I could make you one if you like. Hand forged from carbon steel, heat treated to take and hold an edge.
Large Bowie

Small Damacus hunter

Camp knife with file work and osage handle slabs

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Consider the Cutco serrated blade hunting knife.

My wife bought me one when a nephew was selling Cutco knives. At first I thought the $79 was too much for a basic knife, but it is very strong and unbelieveably sharp. Actually can cut through the pelvic bone of a buck when necesssary if you have the arm strength. It's now the only knife I use, and I have a bunch of others that are "ok" but not in the same class.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Consider the Cutco serrated blade hunting knife.

My wife bought me one when a nephew was selling Cutco knives. At first I thought the $79 was too much for a basic knife, but it is very strong and unbelieveably sharp. Actually can cut through the pelvic bone of a buck when necesssary if you have the arm strength. It's now the only knife I use, and I have a bunch of others that are "ok" but not in the same class.
I just purchased one of these this spring. Have yet to use it but it's a Cutco...I know for a fact it will work just like other Cutco's. Mine has the Orange handle....a great idea for a real world working knife in the field. A nice touch for safety's sake...no laying it down and then kneeling on it or putting a hand on it by mistake while it's hiding in the leaves etc. Won't win any beauty contests but that is not it's intention either. Here's a link. I have the drop point Double D edge version. I prefer drop point to clip points for field work.
http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5718

I also have the Buck Alpha gut hook fixed blade knife. Works great, but the blade is a bit wide...combination filed dressing and skinning blade is a bit of a compromise. Very strong and holds and edge well. I also have a Buck 110 but it's regulated to a camp knife but everyone should own at least one 110! My other set is a Knives of Alaska Brown Bear set with a skinneer/cleaver and a caping knife....awesome stuff. Check out the Knives of Alaska website for numerous models. Not cheap, but not super expensive either.

I'm headed to Cabelas tonight and I may just buy the Buck PBS/Cabelas Alaskan Gude series version for $85. Only reason is at times, I want to pack as light as possible and the bigger fixed blades are not great during archery season while sitting in a stand. And if I don't have to take a pack, all the better. Here's a link to that knife. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20891&hasJS=true

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have the Alpha with the Rosewood handle. Beautiful looking knife with that handle. It can get a bit slippery when full of blood but if your good at dressing deer that doesn't happen. It keeps a great edge and is durable as ever.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm still looking for a decent knife also. I've got one that's half way decent, I forget what kind it is.

Don't get a Rapid River knife. They're expensive, and not worth what you pay. They don't sharpen well, and they don't hold an edge for anything. they look nice though. :sad:
Ok, My good knife is a Schrade Old Timer w/ guthook ($15):

Over 20 years ago I bought my dad a Schrade Old Timer w/ guthook ($18), he has gutted and butchered dozens upon dozens of deer with it:

Don't let the price fool you, these are pretty good knives. I don't think Schrade is in business any longer, but they can be found online.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm headed to Cabelas tonight and I may just buy the Buck PBS/Cabelas Alaskan Gude series version for $85. Only reason is at times, I want to pack as light as possible and the bigger fixed blades are not great during archery season while sitting in a stand. And if I don't have to take a pack, all the better. Here's a link to that knife. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20891&hasJS=true

Bought that knife last year, really like it a lot except how it fits in the sheath. I've been looking for an orange handled drop point, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I own many quality knives and I HIGHLY recommend the KABAR Dozier 3". This knife is made with AUS8 SS and has a better edge than ANY knife I've ever owned. I have one that I use ONLY on deer and it holds a great edge.

This knife costs $20 through AG Russell.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I bought a schrade with a gut hook 20 years ago and it just wouldn't hold an edge.

Then I was given the "NUGE" blade for xmas about 15 years ago and its gutted every deer for me since. It's not to big and its got a heavy blade.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
I just purchased one of these this spring. Have yet to use it but it's a Cutco...I know for a fact it will work just like other Cutco's. Mine has the Orange handle....a great idea for a real world working knife in the field. A nice touch for safety's sake...no laying it down and then kneeling on it or putting a hand on it by mistake while it's hiding in the leaves etc. Won't win any beauty contests but that is not it's intention either. Here's a link. I have the drop point Double D edge version. I prefer drop point to clip points for field work.
http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5718

I also have the Buck Alpha gut hook fixed blade knife. Works great, but the blade is a bit wide...combination filed dressing and skinning blade is a bit of a compromise. Very strong and holds and edge well. I also have a Buck 110 but it's regulated to a camp knife but everyone should own at least one 110! My other set is a Knives of Alaska Brown Bear set with a skinneer/cleaver and a caping knife....awesome stuff. Check out the Knives of Alaska website for numerous models. Not cheap, but not super expensive either.

Which edge did you get on your cutco

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I think a lot of hunters screw up their blades by cutting the ribcage with them. I like to carry two knives in the field. I carry a Buck Pathfinder which I keep razor sharp and a Gerber Gator with a serrated blade for cutting the ribcage. Not using the Pathfinder on the ribcage makes it easy to keep a perfect edge on it. I got the Pathfinder for $8.00 on clearence and paid $28.00 for the Gator. A few years ago, I watched one of my hunting buds destroy a brand new $80.00 Zipper on the ribcage of a nice old 8 point.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok, My good knife is a Schrade Old Timer w/ guthook ($15):

I have one of these too. Very nice knife for the money, takes a real nice edge. My only complaint is that it is just too big for deer. I find it real cumbersome when gutting/skinning a deer. Really do not need/want Rambo knives for deer. ;)

I usually use an old "Nuge" knife as well. Small folder with nice saw (great for pelvic bones!) Small, solid and effective... but not a lock blade (i.e. careful of yer fingers). If not I use my Buck 110 folder.

Someone mentioned Rapid River knives.. I was gifted one two years ago and use it skinning/ processing 3-4 deer a year without sharpening. BUT I take it back to the factory each spring for free sharpening. I would also look at Marble Arms and Bark River knifes. All are Michigan made :D and have great (from what I have heard) reputations.

HTH. Stay safe and HAPPY HUNTING!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I ha
ve this knife without the gut hook for cutting around the ars. I use a gut hook zipper for that job, then continue with my old timer. Lots of people use two knives while gutting, because certain parts of the operation reguire two different knives. I'm pretty fussy when I get to removing the blader around the pelvic bone.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks,

I went down to Cabelas tonight and held, and spliced my thumb on several of the knives they had to offer. I bought the Alaskan Knives Trekker series.

Hopefully it wont have to sit long in it's sheath!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts