Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I m going nuts stuck in the house with all this rain. I hate being inside this time of year. Was thinking about throwing the rain gear on and heading out to the farm I hunt and do some scouting, thinking that with all this rain the past few days I'll have some real fresh tracks to look at. Good idea? Bad idea?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Days like today are my favorite for scouting, setting stands and trimming lanes. First like you said, any tracks you see will be fresh likely leading to bedding areas, Second and most important to me the heavy rain will wash away any trace of scent I may leave wile being in the area.

I'm all set with all my stands and scouting or else I'd be out there today. I'm just mad I can't shoot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
great idea!! went yesterday. the canopy should protect you from the heavy stuff. plus like hunt2 said it will wash your sent away. i'd be out there again today if i didn't have a fund raiser for a friend.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was out the for about 90 minutes last night and watched about 25 to 30 deer and was back this morning for about 3 hours hanging a new stand. I saw another 6 or 8 deer this morning, found 4 buck rubs, and a couple possible scrapes... Nah, I dont mind the rain and dont have to worry about my scent.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I have scouted in rain plenty, with all the things going on in my life I have to take what I can get even if its not perfect. Make the most of it, the rain can be an advantage for you also. The only thing I dont like to do is bow hunt in the rain due to the rain washing away blood from a tracking job.

·
Registered
15,401 Posts
Went out this morning, I wanted to get my cam out of the monsoon. Set it out last night didnt know we had this much rain coming.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Real easy to move around quietly in the rain, it muffles so much of your sound and softens up the crunchy stuff underfoot.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I like to scout on rainy days. Less scent left lingering to signal my intrusion.
Dan

·
Banned
161 Posts
I was out yesterday for about an hour. Planted 2 pear trees. Put out fertilizer on the previous 5 apple trees I planted plus the 2 pear trees. Wore a rain parka. Walked around the property. Deer were moving in the mid-day.​

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't make it out yesterday. Was too busy thoroughly enjoying watching UM get spanked :evil:

Planning on going out today a little later when the rains roll in. Sun is out now so I think I'll go in the backyard and shoot my bow.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
:coolgleam There's never a bad day to be in the woods, Brian. I went out to the farm, this past Wednesday, and hung stands and cut shooting lanes. While I was putting up a hang-on stand, I looked across the bean field to see a nice mainframe eight point with two inside stickers, in front of one of my ladder stands. It was about 10 a.m.. Now, all the scent from my activities should be washed away and the area should be ready to go! I know I am! Now I'm going out back to fling some sticks, too! :fish:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
i was out putting a stand out the other day. i just got my ladder stick up and i heard a deer coming through the woods. so i sat there hanging from my linemans belt until i couldnt see or hear it any more:)

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well didn't get much accomplished.
3 of my 5 stands were surrounded by about 3 feet of standing water! :yikes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts