Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
Just had a shoulder surgery and getting ready to have the other one done soon. Want to put an electric winch on the trailer as it will be rough to crank anymore. Any recommendations on brands would be appreciated.
I would diffently research one , I had one and didn't like it, it was not free spooling for going down. it use a lot of juice when you had to power down also...I don't know maybe there all like that, if you are 25 feet down it takes a lot of juice going both whys, just my opinion, the positive is they are nice does save your shoulder that is for sure...

· Registered
148 Posts
I recently purchased a Dutton-Lainson dual gear pulling winch rated at 2500#. It's a little over-kill for my 1600# boat (that's estimated weight for boat, outboard, gas etc) but I'd rather be over than under. Dutton says the cranking will be much easier with the lower speed. More cranking but with less effort. The dual gears are offered in 1800#. 2000# 2500# and 3200#. I bought it at Cabelas. Haven't used it yet but I think it will be much easier on this old guy

· Registered
841 Posts
I have one in the garage that bought brand new from central motor sports 3 years or so ago, used it for a couple trips and it was too small 2500# it would get it close but not enough onto the bunks. ill get rid of it if your interested. I was gonna put it on car trailer but haven't yet. let me know and I can look for brand!

· Banned
3,520 Posts
Dutton-Lainson and Fulton are two of the better makers of winches, and I believe they both have electric ones also.

· Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I've had a couple on my 26 footer.

The key to them is to have the cable come out, go through a pulley with a hook, and then connect back to the stantion. The pulley and hook connects to the boat. You decrease the pull by almost 1/2.

My first did not free spool out so it took time and juce to get the cable to the boat. My second one could free spool and was quicker. I could usually get 7 or 8 trips out of the battery on the trailer before charging. This was a roller trailer.

Smart planning. I've had both shoulders operated on. The right sucked for loading my boat and I can get mine on one handed.

If you haven't done it already, you may want to practice alternative ways to load. Back the trailer further in the water to drive the boat close to the stantion and then a crank or two to lock it down. Might consider the polymer hyfax additions to your bunks. Only issue with backing in deep is the boat coming out on the bunks not centered. Usually rectified with someone on the dock pushing the boat out with their foot as you pull out.

They make a lower geared hand winch for easier cranking. Your best bet might simply be to ask one of the guys at the launch for a hand. No one likes to ask but I'm more than willing to help anyone out at the launches if they need it.

· Registered
174 Posts
I have been using a POWERWINCH it is made by carefree in Colorado for about 30 years. They are virtually indestructible. Basically the only thing to ever go bad is a solenoid which is easily replaced (about $15). The main thing is it has to be oversized their rating system is inaccurate mainly because on a trailer we are pulling our boats uphill which really changes things. If you want to look at them or just talk I have them mounted on both boats and am located in Bay City just let me know. I have gone thru what you are going thru now both shoulders and both wrists and the winch's 12v and a button have made it alot easier

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.