Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at getting a rifle for some time but everytime I shop I don't know what caliber I should get. I live in southern mi so I really wouldnt hunt with it much. Mostly a gun to shoot long range with for fun but id still like a round with some knock down power. I've been looking into 270, 30-06, and 308 but ammo prices are very high and with this president I doubt theyll come down. What do you guys like? Personally I've shot .22, 243, 223, 270 and 30-06 but never owned one personally

·
Registered
174 Posts
243 good varmint gun where you live or take it north for deer. Fast, flat shooting and just all around fun gun to shoot.

Sent from my DROID3 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
359 Posts
Do you plan on reloading your ammo or having someone load for you? If so any of those already suggested would be a good choice. If you plan on shooting factory ammo I would suggest that you research the variety of loads readily available for calibers you are interested in and choose a caliber that way. If a particular load isn't easy to get you won't be as likely to shoot it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
243 good varmint gun where you live or take it north for deer. Fast, flat shooting and just all around fun gun to shoot.

Sent from my DROID3 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
^^^ x2 the .243 will kill anything Michigan has to offer ! The .308 would be my second choice anything bigger is for guys with a small PP complex ! Both are plenty for the hunting you will be doing in Michigan !

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
^^^ x2 the .243 will kill anything Michigan has to offer ! The .308 would be my second choice anything bigger is for guys with a small PP complex ! Both are plenty for the hunting you will be doing in Michigan !
lol i wouldnt completely trust a .243 with a black bear let alone an elk. its is a great round though.

to the op i love my 7.62x39mm but ammo options can be pretty slim.

im now saving for a hk416 in 5.56 nato.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
7mm-08 or .308. Anything from .25-06/.270/.30-06.

If outwest is an option or fame bigger than deer....30-06/7mm Rem Mag/.300 Win Mag/.300WSM.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Buy a 20 ga shotgun fully rifled barrel and put a scope on it get some of the new ammo shoot paper out to 250 yards. Buy a smooth bore barrel and have a complete package which will kill anything in MI.

If it has to be a rifle... .270 or 308.

Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Buy a 20 ga shotgun fully rifled barrel and put a scope on it get some of the new ammo shoot paper out to 250 yards. Buy a smooth bore barrel and have a complete package which will kill anything in MI.

If it has to be a rifle... .270 or 308.

Jim
Cool for hunting, but at $3/round for sabot shotgun rounds...I wouldn't take that to the range for fun.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Cool for hunting, but at $3/round for sabot shotgun rounds...I wouldn't take that to the range for fun.
You are correct I forgot he did mention expense as an issue. Personally that is not one of my criteria for deciding what I shoot. I choose what fits my taste... and shoots accurately!

Jim

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My first rifle was a 30-06. It has the largest variety of bullet sizes. U can harvest any animal in North America to plains game in Africa with it. If ur planing to stay local 22-250. U can shoot this round in lower MI for varmints. Not Deer.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ill throw out the venerable .303Brit, you can pick up a serviceable SMLE No.4 Mk.I at a very reasonable price and mil surplus rounds are very plentiful.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
7.62 x 39.

VERY inexpensive to purchase ammo and shoot a lot, some guns can be very accurate (1-2 moa), ammo plentiful in everything from FMJ to SP to HP (sportsmanguide.com always has good prices and availability), has all the knockdown energy required for anything up to whitetail here in Michigan, very comparable in ballistics to a 30-30. I've got a Ruger mini 30 in stainless that'll put low dollar ammo in a 3" circle at 100 meters all day long. Love this gun for plinking a lot. ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
.223 is a low recoil, fast, flat caliber. Ammo is very available. Can kill deer and smaller no problems.
+1,000 killed my first deer with 5.56/.223 this year. Outstanding!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts