Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at Algonac for a day of searching. Made a few drifts above the Middle for walleye. Got 2, but seemed larger considering the last 2 outings out of MC. We missed another 3 and couldn’t keep them on.

Our main attention was the bigger gills in and around the Moot so off we went. The downfall was the lower water levels. I’m certain the homeowners are relieved! Yet many of our haunts are now too shallow and are lacking appropriate cover.

It will be a different ballgame this year, but that’s what makes it fun!

Caught pike (lost a monster), bass and a few decent gills. We’re down about a foot and the reeds in less than 12”.

Temperatures all over the place so we looked for the warmest. Anywhere from the mid 40’s to the mid 50’s. That limited us to just a few producing areas. Like little 20 yard pockets.

Lo

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Remember this time last year nobody was boating unless you had a canoe or kayak out there. Where the water levels were over this past weekend, it was about 13-14" lower than where we were in late March or the first half of May. But if you were out there during the afternoon of March 29 last year after two days of rain, the water is 19-20" lower right now, and the same for May 20 after the other big round of rain.

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
Remember this time last year nobody was boating unless you had a canoe or kayak out there. Where the water levels were over this past weekend, it was about 13-14" lower than where we were in late March or the first half of May. But if you were out there during the afternoon of March 29 last year after two days of rain, the water is 19-20" lower right now, and the same for May 20 after the other big round of rain.

19-20", uptown where I fling off seawall it's 3+' wondering how I'm gonna get back up... Might have to swim too launch 🤣 find out in July!

Nice shoeman, don't have my fix of eyes yet but those sure look good !! & ya have me wondering about my spot come late may.....shallow to begin with

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
19-20", uptown where I fling off seawall it's 3+' wondering how I'm gonna get back up... Might have to swim too launch 🤣 find out in July!

Nice shoeman, don't have my fix of eyes yet but those sure look good !! & ya have me wondering about my spot come late may.....shallow to begin with
If you use that ruler on all your gills, you are going going to get a ton of master angler qualifiers this year.

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
If you use that ruler on all your gills, you are going going to get a ton of master angler qualifiers this year.
I will get master anglers... But take a ride uptown MC lighthouse (edison) what I call it. You tell me how much ya think the seawall looks like .. I've wheeled up and been up there 3 times this wk with nephew-niece, ice cream and candy for em. Can't reach over and take a pic to justify or would've :)

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Well guys, I have to confess, this may be my fault. See every night when I say my prayers I been praying the water levels would come down so I can feel safe fishing off the piers again. It's been kinda scary the last few years.
Oh and global warming? Yeah that might be my fault too.
Sorry bout that. My bad :)

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
You would need a picture from last year this time to compare it with right now to be meaningful. If there's 3 feet of seawall above the water right now, then this time last year the water wouldn't have been all the way to the top of it.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Is there alot of pike in there this time of year

·
Registered
244 Posts
You would need a picture from last year this time to compare it with right now to be meaningful. If there's 3 feet of seawall above the water right now, then this time last year the water wouldn't have been all the way to the top of it.
I think the direction of the wind plays a big role on water depth as well. Last year with the wind blowing in towards our shore, the water at the Selfridge ramp would come up in the road leading to the launch site and there would be a foot of water in the roadway. If it was an off shore wind, there would be no water at all in the road, but no telling how low it was without getting out of the vehicle and looking down into the storm sewer there. This year even with the wind blowing in to us, there is no water coming up the storm sewers into the roadway.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I think the direction of the wind plays a big role on water depth as well. Last year with the wind blowing in towards our shore, the water at the Selfridge ramp would come up in the road leading to the launch site and there would be a foot of water in the roadway. If it was an off shore wind, there would be no water at all in the road, but no telling how low it was without getting out of the vehicle and looking down into the storm sewer there. This year even with the wind blowing in to us, there is no water coming up the storm sewers into the roadway.
Wind will have some minor effects. Most days maybe an inch or less change in water level at a particular spot. Here's the water level chart for the St Clair Shores station from this week. On 4/19 we had some pretty strong westerly winds that dropped the water around 3" for a few hours.

Every Friday, the Detroit Section of the Army Corps of Engineers posts a water level forecast for the Great Lakes. They look at all the water level stations on the U.S. and Canadian sides, and do a predicted water level for still conditions without the wind blowing anything to one side of the other. As of this moment, the report for 4/16 is still up that says LSC is down 13" from one year ago. Sometime later today it will be updated with this week's projections.

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My observation was with hardly a breeze. Many homes on Harsen's that were compromised in the last few years are actually somewhat high and dry.

I just looked at the Data for Lake Erie and at the beginning of the month it was down 13".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts