Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any help would be helpful never was up there, coming from oh.never read any post from up there.read lots of good post from other places. willing to try anywhere in that area,would like to hook up with someone. 4 other family members are going to ski snowmobile and gamble. myself i like to fish, but will gamble if i have to. THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLY Brian

·
Registered
242 Posts
I did see a few guys out in front of the pier in petosky the other day-going after whitefish, havent heard any reports yet though. lakes have had alot of overflow(slush) on them up here, hard to get around, maple bay on burt you can at least walk out on, but just gettin small perch. hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Went out on maple bay (burt lake) saturday. There is a good packed path to get out on. I only got small perch 4" to 7".
Went out sunday to my shany on mullet and all I did is get really stuck with my 4x4 quad.

good luck.

chad1

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
hey Chad, we were out there Saturday a.m., sorry we missed you. Where abouts were you fishing. We were the most east of any of the shanties in 13'. Got out late, 10, and had no luck at all. Guy next to us, caught a 7" or so perch. Sitting outside his shanty. Kids got bored so they started having snowball fights. So we called it quits by 2.
You weren't kidding about the ice and slush. I was the taxi for our group on my last trip to pick up the last 2 kids. I gave a guy a ride out. 1/2 way out he points to a group of guys to the west. So I had to blaze my own trail. Hit a big slush pocket and I thought we were going to bury it. Luckily he was on the front rack and that helped us.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Bds,

I talked to a local yesterday a.m. At Harbor springs launch. He fishes the marina area for BT and Steelies, and also spears for Pike. Asked him about the perch fishing, he says that no one fishes there for them, cause of a lack of fish.
His buddies were some of the guys out in LT bay, after whitefish. He that was hit or miss.
He also said the only lake that he knew that was doing anything, was Walloon lake for perch.
Seemed like a honest guy.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I see you did get over to Harbor Springs Mccanes. I'm surprised you could get the dude to admit the few perch being caught in Walloon, after 25 years of heading up to that area, getting info from the locals is like pulling teeth.:D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
We had a red 4x4 suzuki quad with a red box on the back that also holds the auger. We where in a shappel 4000. I think I may have been about a 100yrds from you. I seen kids by 2 portable shantys.
I was not sure if that was you or not.

chad1

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Chad, yeah that was us. Kids thought it was funny to bombard my voyager with snow balls. Then I caught them trying to take my "slammers" to use as hockey sticks. Guess they were trying to make their point of wanting to get back to the condo to play halo on xbox. Hope their loudness wasn't bothering anyone out there. Tried to keep them 1/2 way quiet. Knew it was time to call it quits when the 15 year olds were making "snow angels". Then when we left, my friend needed a sludge hammer to drive in some stakes on his property. So we drove up to hardware store in Pellston, my friend gets pulled over for speeding. My friend is in his 40's and never had a blemish on his driving record. Well, the "young John Wayne" took care of that.

Jimbos, yeah he was a nice guy. Younger guy with his little daughter, just stopped by to check the ice in his spearing hole. To bad we didn't run into him before we went out. We could have changed our set ups.
I know what you mean about info. up there. Other than the guys on this site. It's pretty quiet. I even called Pat & Gary's for info. and they said they didn't have any reports coming in.
There used to be a caretaker at the condo I stay at. That was hard to get ahold of. Because he was out ice fishing all the time. The guy that owns the condo would call the guy up and tell to meet me at the condo. To give me the latest reports. That's how I found out the methods for Brown Trout in Maple bay.
Unfortunately he passed away 2 winters ago. Unfortunate, not for the fishing reports, but, just an all round great guy. Always went out of his way to help ya if you needed it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
There's lots of snow on most lakes in this area making travel difficult without a snowmobile. I had thought things had settled a bit by Sunday but I was wrong. Tried taking the quad out on Lake Charlevoix Sunday night and buried it. Man I'm sore from wrestling 650 lbs. out of the snow. We got about 5 more inches on Sunday night and Monday. If you don't have a snowmobile, plan on walking and eat your wheaties.
Fishing has been pretty slow...I'm probably going to take a break for a while until the snow settles and the fishing improves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts