1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
147 Posts
your on the right track!!! i have yet to buy any but if you go to the sewing stores (i like jo anns) you can get it there and they have some decent stuff in general! i would maybe "mud it" to dull it out a bit more! oh also on a side note if you go to the fabric part you can get "tooling" which to any fisherman clearly is spawnbag netting!! DUH silly women:lol:. you can get it for pennies and lots of differnt colors too!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've made my own goose flags and they have last over ten years now. I bought heavy flag material from Jo Anns. I like to use my big black flag (30 X 30 in) for far off geese to get them to notice.

Ken

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I just got 3 layout blinds and I saw guys buying the Killer Weed kits at Cabelas. My wife is going over to the Flower factory today to see what they have but this what I found online.

http://www.raffit.com/raffia/man_kraft_light_matte.asp

Has to be cheaper.

Ken
Raffit.com? Jo-annes? Keep this up and you may have surrender your MAN CARD! As of now, consider yourself on "DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION"!:lol::lol:

Seriously, good find! Killer Weed and the rest are just brand names that mean big profit margin. Wish I thought of it first. :idea:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the flags I've made I've sewn myself. At a 4-H craft day you should have seen the look on the mom's faces when I set up a sewing machine and changed the bobbin for a kid that broke the thread. My philosiphy is if I can learn to do it myself I will.

Ken

·
Registered
710 Posts
"Maybe this stuff would work for camo on layout and boat blinds. it is cheap and could easily be dyed with fabric dye in a bug sprayer. the double sided straw should work fine. It maybe available at your local land scaping supply store.
http://www.strawblanket.com/prod01.htm"

Just a heads up this stuff doesn't work, the straw is held on the netting with a light adhesive and when you start moving around it falls off. I tried a few years ago.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Yep, my wife's a regular at JoAnn's and similar stores, and she's always on the lookout for material that will work for one of my hunting projects. I've saved a bunch over the years that way on various projects.

Speaking of which, here's my latest search guys, and I've been all over the internet, and visited every florist (yes, I said florist!) in my area...I'm looking for some artificial cedar boughs. Correction...I'm looking for REASONABLY PRICED artificial cedar boughs. I've found all kinds of stuff used for X-mas decorations, but number one, it's really expensive, and number two, it more resembles pine boughs instead of cedar.

What I'm trying to accomplish is I want to cover my homemade flip up boat blind with cedar instead of fast grass as it is currently. Why you ask? Those of you who hunt the bay regularly know that cedar kills ducks on the bay. Fast grass or cattails works okay, but cedar on a blind will outkill anything else on the bay. So if anyone happens across some reasonably priced, realistic looking cedar material, please let me know ;)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speaking of which, here's my latest search guys, and I've been all over the internet, and visited every florist (yes, I said florist!) in my area...I'm looking for some artificial cedar boughs. Correction...I'm looking for REASONABLY PRICED artificial cedar boughs. I've found all kinds of stuff used for X-mas decorations, but number one, it's really expensive, and number two, it more resembles pine boughs instead of cedar.
Did you try Bronner's?

Ken

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Did you try Bronner's?

Ken

No I haven't. Good thought. Obviously I'm looking for bulk material, not finished product, which is why I was searching the net and talking with local florists. All of the finished decorations I've found are way too pricey to use on a boat blind. Seems like someone would know of an outlet for buying bulk, but so far no luck.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Old, overgrown juniper and arborvitea shrubs are just the ticket. Just ask your local landscaper. They often pull the old and replace with new, smaller ones. Landscape architects are another good call to make. Or place an ad..."old shrubs pulled for free".

·
Registered
147 Posts
hahaha please tnl dont go to double secret probation! you should see the look on ladies faces when i go to the dress fabric isle at jo anns and start picking out 4-5 shades of pink!! (spawn bag netting) (side note the ladies that work there will give ya a deal if they have any ripped pieces) also the "fun foam" that kids play with works great for fly tying terrestrials!!! and lots cheaper than the fly shop!

Just ducky, I would go to those same shops a day or 2 after x-mas all the fo-fo decorations are always like 75% off!! doesnt help this season but maybe if you case out 2 or 3 stores you can get it cheaper than on line? good luck none the less!!!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
And here I was trying to keep my shopping at Michales Crafts for paint to use with my air brush on my foam decoys a secret! :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
maybe we all need to start a support group!! hahahaha!!! "Hi my name is Ryan and i shop for man stuff and Girly stores"....Hi Ryan my wife fell over last fall when she asked if we could stop at jo anns after dinner one evening and i was in there longer than she was!!! I am with ken if i can do it myself i will!!!!

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Old, overgrown juniper and arborvitea shrubs are just the ticket. Just ask your local landscaper. They often pull the old and replace with new, smaller ones. Landscape architects are another good call to make. Or place an ad..."old shrubs pulled for free".
Thought of that actually. And honestly, I have an overgrown arborvitae in my yard that would probably just about do the trick if I could talk the wife into letting me take it out...gotta be delicate about those things with her. But here's my issue...my boat blind is a fold-down blind, and real foliage is too bulky to be folding down all the time. That's why I'm specifically looking for artificial cedar. There are lots of camo fabrics out there, but nothing I've found that's a dead ringer for cedar. Normally I wouldn't be that particular, but as I said, cedar is a killer on Saginaw Bay....ask anyone who's hunted there for a while and they'll back that up. Don't know why...just because I guess.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dan I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and they had what would pass as cedar in bundles. It was $24 normally and now 50% off. That seems like it would still be initially expensive to do a whole boat. Just thought if there is a store by you, you might want to swing by.

Ken

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
All of the flags I've made I've sewn myself. At a 4-H craft day you should have seen the look on the mom's faces when I set up a sewing machine and changed the bobbin for a kid that broke the thread. My philosiphy is if I can learn to do it myself I will. Ken
I have been making my own duck hunting gear for decades.

Something about your own handiwork helping along the demise of some flatbills that add to the overall warm and fuzzy effect:evil:

Many of my projects are more expensive than buying when I am done.

But the durability and quality of craftsmanship I strive for are hard to find off the shelf on many of the hard use items us Waterfowlers need.

I think being able to sew/fabricate your own gear is just something a waterfowler should know how to do!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
hahaha please tnl dont go to double secret probation! you should see the look on ladies faces when i go to the dress fabric isle at jo anns and start picking out 4-5 shades of pink!! (spawn bag netting) (side note the ladies that work there will give ya a deal if they have any ripped pieces) also the "fun foam" that kids play with works great for fly tying terrestrials!!! and lots cheaper than the fly shop!

Just ducky, I would go to those same shops a day or 2 after x-mas all the fo-fo decorations are always like 75% off!! doesnt help this season but maybe if you case out 2 or 3 stores you can get it cheaper than on line? good luck none the less!!!
there was a considerable amount of MILFS walking around;)

Now of course as all good waterfowlers know.

Scouting and harvesting are two completely different things.....:D

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Dan I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and they had what would pass as cedar in bundles. It was $24 normally and now 50% off. That seems like it would still be initially expensive to do a whole boat. Just thought if there is a store by you, you might want to swing by.

Ken
Thanks for the tip Ken. I know we have hobby shops, but I'll check for one of those around here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts