Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

As we are waiting for the ice to be ready for us weekend warriors, I was interested in getting some ideas on what everyone's go to set up is. Jigging, dead sticking, favorite bait, etc... you don't need to get too specific if you don't want too.

thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jigging-rap with a small jig or fly tipped with spike tied 12" above it. I also have grown extremely fond of small tungsten jigs tipped with a bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
192 Posts
I caught my personal best perch (13") on Lake St. Clair using a Schooley Rod and it's pre-rigged orange and chartreuse tear drop tipped with a mousie at Brandenburg Park ice fishing years ago.

I was sight fishing and it didn't want to commit, but by jigging it, almost quivering it subtly and raising it up slowly he took it in enough to set the hook.

That being said, it's clear that there can't be one go to lure because so many factors go in to getting a fish to commit. Sometimes it's color, scent, movement, etc...Even the most basic, cheapest set-up can out produce some of the newest and hottest lures and baits.

I guess that's why most of us spend so much money on lures. I try to have all my bases covered in that regard before I hit the water. Even though it's a pain in the butt, I bring out many prerigged poles so that I don't waste anytime once I get set up.

If you're looking for a diverse lure, Ficious are the way to go. I've had a lot of success with them tipped with waxies, mousies etc. and even live minnows. And now with hard beads.

Just my two cents :)

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I caught be personal best perch (13") on Lake St. Clair using a Schooley Rod and it's pre-rigged orange and chartreuse tear drop tipped with a mousie at Brandenburg Park ice fishing years ago.

I was sight fishing and it didn't want to commit, but by jigging it, almost quivering it subtly and raising it up slowly he took it in enough to set the hook.

That being said, it's clear that there can't be one go to lure because so many factors go in to getting a fish to commit. Sometimes it's color, scent, movement, etc...Even the most basic, cheapest set-up can out produce some of the newest and hottest lures and baits.

I guess that's why most of us spend so much money on lures. I try to have all my bases covered in that regard before I hit the water. Even though it's a pain in the butt, I bring out many prerigged poles so that I don't waste anytime once I get set up.

If you're looking for a diverse lure, Ficious are the way to go. I've had a lot of success with them tipped with waxies, mousies etc. and even live minnows. And now with hard beads.

Just my two cents :)
A ficious type jig is a unique presentation for a minnow because it makes the minnow sit vertically. Sometimes this is what they want for some reason. maybe it is a que that the minnow is distressed????

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Ficious. I use one form or another 90% of the time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A ficious type jig is a unique presentation for a minnow because it makes the minnow sit vertically. Sometimes this is what they want for some reason. maybe it is a que that the minnow is distressed????
I try hooking my minnows in different ways. Sometimes I hook through the mouth and out the nostril, sometimes in front of the dorsal fin above the spine, I've even tried tail hooking.

Also, I have some Ficious jigs that have #4 nickel Mustad hook below the lure. I've caught many nice perch and crappie with those rigged with a large live perch minnow.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Dead stick is usually a Hali with a minnow. And jigging rod depends where I'm at. Either jigging rap or beaded spoon or tiny tungsten with either plastic or wax worm.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Phenomenal advice Badgers bunk that's hitting the nail on the head dare eh;)realy can't go wrong with dat dare program

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Ficious jig. The stunner and the glo smerch are my go to's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts