Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the boys out this morning at a portion of the Holly SRA. Wouldn't you know it, but as soon as I let them off leash, they lock up right in front of me. That's Bogie up front and Grady sort of backing. I moved in to kick up a single grouse.

Here they both locked up on what ended up to be a small little covey of grouse. Grady up front and Bogie pointing. Not staunch or the prettiest of points, but they find birds.

We followed a few of the singles to the swamps and tracked them down - at least Grady thought so (that's him in the middle and Bogie on the left):

I was able to sneak in as Grady pointed another single:

Here is Grady taking a breather:

We were able to knock a few down during the season, but I tell you, today was pretty exciting. Both of my boys worked well and pointed a bunch of birds. I am just glad that I had my camera this time to capture the moment.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
That's how it always works. Whenever you can't shoot'em their out.

Can't view the pictures however...

We'll have to get together later this winter or even spring and pick up some chukars, pigeons, or even some cheap tenesee reds and work the dogs. I know Grey dog and his Weim would be interested.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suprisingly so, we found birds at some of the parcels north of Grange Hall Road.

I will try the pictures again this evening. It must not have liked the URL address from my Yahoo photo album.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here I go again. Hopefully the pictures will post this time.

I had the boys out the other morning at a portion of the Holly SRA. Wouldn't you know it, but as soon as I let them off leash, they lock up right in front of me. That's Bogie up front and Grady sort of backing. I moved in to kick up a single grouse.

Here they both locked up on what ended up to be a small little covey of grouse. Grady up front and Bogie pointing. Not staunch or the prettiest of points, but they find birds.

We followed a few of the singles to the swamps and tracked them down - at least Grady thought so (that's him in the middle and Bogie on the left):

I was able to sneak in as Grady pointed another single:

Let me know if the pictures post. They show up when I preview it.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two males that are both a little over two years old. From what I can see, they have two different styles. Neither of them have been trained professionally (or even semi-professionally for that matter). I pretty much have been doing it on my own as with most of us amatuer, bird and dog crazy freaks. In my eyes, they are far from a finely tuned gentlemen's gundog, but I am happy with their progress and will be working hard with them over the next few months to prepare for next season.

Grady (shorter tail) quarters well and ranges out a little further and covers a bunch of ground. Depending on the cover, he will get out anywhere from 30 to 100 yards. I have been trying to tether him back in a bit as I prefer a closer working dog (at least what I feel is close). I have no plans on trialing either dog, so I am kind of tailoring their style to my needs and wants. Grady also is starting to cast very well with a whistle (to stop) and hand signals to get him going in what I think is the right direction.

Bogie on the other hand works pretty close - from my front pocket to about 30-40 yards. He leaves no stone un-turned and pretty much hits every bit of cover in close proximity. He seems to be a bit more thorough. I am not sure if you have heard the term "Velcro Dog", but Bogie (or Vizsla's for that matter) fit that description very well.

The pictures from above where taken a tightly lined trail with a few open fields and some swampy areas. So basically, the dogs busted into the cover where possible and worked the trail side pretty decent. Both dogs seem to be pretty fearless when it comes to busting through stuff as their bellies show evidence to that. They normally have belly vests on, but I wasn't sure what we were getting into.

I hope this answered your question.

-Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts