Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,632 Posts
Shoeman
Why would you not drag it every weekend? Worked in Powertrain engineering and the test cycles ran to certify that the workload on your vehicle (8400 lbs in my case) will sustain that activity day in and day out. That number, 8400 pounds, has to have reliability confidence to meet warranty life.
That's why I get excited when people over buy for their needs. Sure, there are horror stories out there but they are are all special causes. If towing issues were a concern the automakers would modify the towing capabilities.

IMG_0098.JPG

When your tow dwarfs the tow vehicle... I would never say you don't even know it's back there...LOL

·
Registered
213 Posts
I see the new 6.6L gas are going with the 3:73 transmissions. How much will this help with fuel economy?
Like I mentioned before, 12 mpg city, 16 mpg hwy are the typical values people are getting. The numbers are similar to 6.0 but it has about 20% more power. It tows significantly better than 6.0. I have been on several trips pulling 16k trailers with it. It does fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
976 Posts
The cost of gas/fuel, was not a factor for me and I still chose gas. I'm driving a 2019 2500HD with the 6.0 and 6L90 currently. Huge step up from a half ton, tows everything I will ever need it to (tractor, boats, bobcat, etc) and easy to maintain. Yes, I get 13.5 average but as I said the cost of gas is not a factor for my situation. I bought it for 10,000 less than a comparable diesel at the time.

A good friend tows daily, short distances to and from jobsites. Equipment of all different sizes and even he bought a gas dually. I don't own a 6.6 gasser but I have drove one and enjoyed it. Mileage was better for the short distance I drove it. I've heard nothing but good things from guys who own them. If I had to buy another truck it would very likely be a 6.6 gas.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I own 6 diesel trucks 2000 thru 2018 2 fords 2 dodges 2 gms No gassers allowed in my driveway

I have couple friends own 6.6 gasser one loves his other hates his.

·
Registered
914 Posts
What do you use them for???
Lawn art :D

2000 f250 7.3 - work and daily drive
2003 f250 6.0 - pile of **** lawn art (up for sale lots of valuable parts)
2003 ram 2500 5.9 Cummins - work
2009 gm 2500 6.6 dura daily drive (the wife’s /boss)
2009 gm 2500 6.6 dura daily drive (the sons)
2018 ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (pretty lawn art)my daily once a week

·
Super Moderator
19,632 Posts

don’t question Gordon, he’s nesting....

·
Registered
4,659 Posts

Do you work in agriculture and get all that tax free fuel?? There are pills your family can take to subdue your "diesel" emotions.

·
Registered
914 Posts
No we don’t work in ag just can’t beat a diesel all the way around ,do haul trailers for work we do .

I do feel a lil bad , just a lil though we do have a 10 Sierra 5.3 that’s a gasser but we park her out back she ain’t aloud in the front driveway . Such a shame to she is really a nice truck but can’t pull her weight , kinda embarrassing for a truck imo

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Shoeman
Why would you not drag it every weekend? Worked in Powertrain engineering and the test cycles ran to certify that the workload on your vehicle (8400 lbs in my case) will sustain that activity day in and day out. That number, 8400 pounds, has to have reliability confidence to meet warranty life.
That's why I get excited when people over buy for their needs. Sure, there are horror stories out there but they are are all special causes. If towing issues were a concern the automakers would modify the towing capabilities.
Maybe the automakers should be more concerned with towing capabilities. I can see minimal issues with 1/2 ton trucks, but when people look at 3/4 ton and larger trucks towing is a major issue. In my case it’s the first thing I look at. If a truck can’t do the job I look at the next model up.

I’m obviously not the only one that would rather have a truck that I know will easily do the job rather than one that might do the job, or marginally do the job.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I will confess, I am impressed with my truck when it comes to towing. It is a 5.3L with the heavy duty towing option. My mileage drops down to 10-12 MPG. I really like the 20 MPG + on the highway. I towed a 24ft Bayliner with no issues 75 MPH down I-75. The newer 5.3L are better than the older models. Nothing like a diesel though.
If it was not for the potential long term transmission issues I would keep it and just buy a older diesel to pull my future fifth wheeler.

·
Registered
213 Posts
All 2020 GMC Sierras with 5.3L will be built with 10 speed trans. 2020 Siverados will only have 10 spd on high country and trail boss. The rest get the 8 spd. You could get a gmc with a 5.3 10spd if you want to go 6.6 route.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Had it in 5 times for shifting and vibration issues over the last three years. The last two times the oil change fixed the issue. I have some vibration again but not sure if its something else now. The dealership I bought it from got me a cash voucher to use on another new purchase. It's still not enough, and I hate to buy another GM.
If Ram would honor the Voucher I may go that route.
I am fully aware of what a diesel can do. I pulled a 28 ft fifth wheeler and a 19 ft boat at the same time every summer. It pulled so nice I hardly knew any of it was back there.

Buck is right, when I retire I will be on the road all the time. I used my current situation when i should consider my retirement usage time.

I see the new 6.6L gas are going with the 3:73 transmissions. How much will this help with fuel economy?
Sounds like the last 2x only fixed it temporarily. I might be able to point you in a more effective direction than a dealer voucher if you want to trade some PMs.

Fuel economy benefits of a 3.73 axle ratio vs 4.11 - there's a lot of math to that equation.

·
Registered
427 Posts
For all you guys whining my 92 ford f350 dually with the 460 gets 11 on the freeway an about 8 in the city. I like it because 8 foot bed and can be completely loaded and barely lower in the back.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
About diesels costing more overall, I don't doubt it... but I'd like to get a ball park idea on the difference in the $ numbers.

I'm a bit of a newbie, I'm sure ppl will chime in and bum me out on what I'm missing here.
But here's what I can compare so far owning both a gasser and diesel for the last 4yrs...

2004 Toyota Tundra 4.7 V8 4x4 gasoline.
8-9mpg towing, 13-15mpg avg.
After 20k mi, ran synthetic oil - 7500mi in between changes (7 quarts per)
Kept up on timing belt changes, tune ups, diff/transfer lube changes, etc.
Just sold it last week after 16yrs / 135k mi
Best truck ever :(

2016 3/4ton RAM 6.7 Cummins 4x4 diesel.
11-12 mpg towing w/the AC blasting, 18-19mpg avg.
Currently has 35k mi,
The oil doesn't have to be changed until 15k mi. even during break-in.
So technically, I should only be on my second one (but I do change it every year)
Yes... it takes more oil then a gasser, but the time in between changes... cancels that out right?

Fuel filters, 2 of them to have to be changed... I believe every 15k mi also. I'm currently on my 2nd set.

Yes fuel/DEF does cost more, but the MPG difference has to make up some of the cost right?
As stated before, if you tow, you just cant beat a diesel. We did our first big trip last year out east, up to Maine and hit some mountains to finally give her a test.
Yeah... When you can pass somebody going UP hill... we feel its the best decision we made so far.

So I'm guessing when the Turbo blows and its out of warranty, is that when I'm going to see the big cost difference?
:eek:

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
About diesels costing more overall, I don't doubt it... but I'd like to get a ball park idea on the difference in the $ numbers.

I'm a bit of a newbie, I'm sure ppl will chime in and bum me out on what I'm missing here.
But here's what I can compare so far owning both a gasser and diesel for the last 4yrs...

Currently has 35k mi,
So technically, I should only be on my second one (but I do change it every year)
Yes... it takes more oil then a gasser, but the time in between changes... cancels that out right?

Fuel filters, 2 of them to have to be changed... I believe every 15k mi also. I'm currently on my 2nd set.

Yes fuel/DEF does cost more, but the MPG difference has to make up some of the cost right?
As stated before, if you tow, you just cant beat a diesel. We did our first big trip last year out east, up to Maine and hit some mountains to finally give her a test.
Yeah... When you can pass somebody going UP hill... we feel its the best decision we made so far.

So I'm guessing when the Turbo blows and its out of warranty, is that when I'm going to see the big cost difference?
That and the $10,000 up front cost between the Cummins and the Hemi. You have to factor that part in somewhere too.

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
That and the $10,000 up front cost between the Cummins and the Hemi. You have to factor that part in somewhere too.

GM’s list price on the diesel option is $9300 list. Applying discounts off that might get the transaction price down to $8k. Diesels sell at a premium to gas trucks as used, so you should get another $2-3k back there. That makes the real up front cost a more appealing $5-6k for the diesel option.
That makes it quite appealing to me.

Oil changes and fuel filters are more....so there’s that.
I’ve seen studies of 150k miles on a diesel to offset the price difference....so there’s that.
There’s plenty of diesels still running at
250-400k miles, how many 6 liters at that mileage....so there’s that.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts

Currently has 35k mi,

Forgot the purchase price differential.
How much do filters cost?
2016 with 35k miles, did you buy it new? That's low mileage!
3 mile differential in fuel mileage between gas and diesel. What is the fuel cost differential. I don't think you drive the diesel enough to reap the benefits of diesel.
You buy what you like, that your option. I think the original question was, do diesels cost more to operate.
Many people on here are high mileage truck users 100k / 200k. Diesels may have better reliability at that mileage but if you have to fix it, it's much more costly. I have never had a vehicle go over 100k. I buy and lease.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts