Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at what ratio do you guys mix your glycol? i was told 1:1 from a long time trapper but the container says 1:3.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
the bottle of glycerine that i got says nothing...but i have always heard that you mix it 1:1

my next line goes out in the next couple days. cant wait to try

mike

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i was told too mike. i just finished prepping the new traps and dug up some dry dirt from the crawl space under the house. heading out in a few to make some sets. oh yeah and by the way. a #2 coil hurts when your thumb is in it. :rant:

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
wild bill,

I will be interested in knowing how you like using the glycerine antifreeze, in comparison to using dry dirt.

Being an old trapper only means that I don't get my fingers caught as often as a young trapper ;) . But I do have a little trick that I use when I set my land traps. Once the trap in firmly bedded and before I start to pack dirt around the trap jaws, I lift the free jaw so it stands straight up. This way I can pack my dirt around the pan, with no chance of getting my fingers pinched.

Being an old trapper, I also have the scar to show on my thumb from the #14 Victor Jump Trap with teeth that got me years back :sad: . Surprisingly it didn't hurt all that much, but I didn't waste anytime getting it off either. Thankgoodness I had some nice ice cold water really close by to stick it in, once the feeling came back into my thumb :D .

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use a 50/50 mix of water and glycol throug the middle of December, then go to strait dry dirt. Glycol, no matter how rich you mix it, will be useless once the temp dips below 10-12 degrees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts