Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a bunch of weeds in my food plots that aren’t being phased at all by 2 applications of Gly.
I’m guessing it’s some type of Horseweed or Marestail…..?
I’m thinking about trying some 24D on it but also plan to plant brassicas there in 2 weeks…
Any suggestions? Thanks🙂

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Yep - That stuff is definitely resistant to Gly. The gly will set it back some so I would go ahead and spray it again just prior to planting your brassicas, knowing that it is going to compete with them this year.

Reactions: millbs

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks different than the marestail I identified in my plots. I mixed 5 OZ of roundup, 6 OZ of 2 4 D, AMS and surfactant per acre. Killed it in a few days. From what I read, need 30 days to replant. Since 2 4 D does not effect wheat and rye, not sure if 30 days effects the grass grains. Some plots that are thinner with marestail that I want to plant turnips, I planted them this past weekend. Will solve next spring with spray mix. Figure 80 to 90% clean food plot is better than not having brassicas.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You have horsetail which is different from Marestail. The problem in killing it is there are no leaf blades to absorb the spray. 2,4-d is not the best to try as it’s not a broadleaf weed. My best results have been a 3-4x rate of glyphosate, adding 3x rate of AMS and double the surfactant load (you can use dish soap) if you don’t have access to commercial grade surfactant. Tillage is also a source to suppress it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
On line pictures show several different pictures. 2 sprayings of round up did not kill. I do have leaf... Been out every couple of days spot spraying. They keep appearing and I want them to go away. Wiping out a good BW and bean plot. Trying to eliminate before August to give me 30 days to plant wheat.

·
Premium Member
12,804 Posts
Isn't there an app for plant ID? Someone mentioned it somewhere on this site recently. I responded to it, but don't remember. Lol

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
You have horsetail which is different from Marestail. The problem in killing it is there are no leaf blades to absorb the spray. 2,4-d is not the best to try as it’s not a broadleaf weed. My best results have been a 3-4x rate of glyphosate, adding 3x rate of AMS and double the surfactant load (you can use dish soap) if you don’t have access to commercial grade surfactant. Tillage is also a source to suppress it.
Horsetail is correct (looks like a reed) and I don’t know of a herbicide to kill it…it lives thru groundclear/Sahara/any herbicide that kills all plants! I have it on an access trail and it grows right up thru it! Nearby that trail is switch and it was still present in the switch, but as it grows and thickens, it has regressed. That stuff is tough…it was here when the dinosaurs were here and will remain after we are gone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts