Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a few glow in the dark hex flies yesterday and I'm wondering if any of you have used these? I am not expecting much of a glow but even a slight amount would be nice for fishing in the dark. My only concern is if they will alert the fish that something isn't right. I am going to try one out tonight but just thought I would see if any of you have tried them.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would skip the glow in the dark flies and buy some lumalux fly-line from Rio. That will make your line visible, and then you'll have an idea as to a 2-3' diameter circle that your fly would be in. Set on sound if a fish rises within that imaginary circle.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've tied with glow in the dark material and had good results. Either use as my post on parachutes or a little on top of calf tails spent wings. Doesn't seem to bother the fish. But also agree with the lumilox. Love that line

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I had not heard of that line before, that seems like it would be cool. I did catch a 19 inch brown on the glow fly but it wasn't really glowing at all. Lost two other fish Thurs night as well, hopefully the fishing just keeps getting better

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought I would share a couple pics of the fish I caught. Had to untangle the fly from the net/fish and then it was released to be a 20 incher next year. Great night of fishing with hopefully more to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
If you want the glow in the dark to work you need to shine a small light on it every 10-15 min. I have been using the material for several years and had good results with the flies that I have used it on.

D

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have a friend of mine who always puts a strip of glow in the dark paint on the top of his mouse pattern and he says it helps him a lot.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts