Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

141 - 160 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Believe me they are perch. Josh is part of the clan that does a lot of the prep and cooking. He knows.

Mc breeze, where do you live? You seem to know so much about fish fry's in the Tri Cities.
I live in the tri cities. So, yes, also being a Catholic I have a pretty good working knowledge of the various lenten fish fry events going on. The few that remain. We'll hear from Josh. That will be some good background.

McBroom won't derail every one-sided bill. He'll certainly support his own one-sided bill.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I live in the tri cities. So, yes, also being a Catholic I have a pretty good working knowledge of the various lenten fish fry events going on. The few that remain. We'll hear from Josh. That will be some good background.

McBroom won't derail every one-sided bill. He'll certainly support his own one-sided bill.
I guess that's the purpose of good faith negotiations.

·
Registered
677 Posts
These bars and restaurants may be calling them lake perch but there's not a snowball's chance in hell all these huge fillets that they serve with perch stripes on them are Saginaw valley area perch. No fricking way. It's been stated before, places can pretty much call it whatever they like because where ever it came from the locals could call it a perch or walleye. I believe walleye mike made that post in another forum (don't quote me though)
I do know of a very reputable (and quite good) restaurant in the traverse area that had really good perch that were yellow bellies but Canadian. That same place now has new management, still selling the same menus, but the fish is totally different. Some other type of "perch".

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
These bars and restaurants may be calling them lake perch but there's not a snowball's chance in hell all these huge fillets that they serve with perch stripes on them are Saginaw valley area perch. No fricking way. It's been stated before, places can pretty much call it whatever they like because where ever it came from the locals could call it a perch or walleye. I believe walleye mike made that post in another forum (don't quote me though)
I do know of a very reputable (and quite good) restaurant in the traverse area that had really good perch that were yellow bellies but Canadian. That same place now has new management, still selling the same menus, but the fish is totally different. Some other type of "perch".
Actually it's easy to tell the difference between zander and perch. The zander have wider, somewhat jagged stripes, the meat has a grey coloration and the fillets are narrow strips, the result of auto filleting. I occasionally eat zander, a good tasting substitute at 5.99 a pound.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
When I grew up in Bay City, my Father used to take me to various bars, and restaurants for fresh Perch Lunches, and Dinners. We did it quite a bit, and I took it for granted. And it was very common to find little bars, and lots of restaurants that served fresh Lake Perch. From Bay City, to Tawas. And they were always real Lake Perch, harvested from Saginaw Bay, and Lake Huron. I doubt there are 1/4 as many today. But we didn't have Walleyes in the bay, back then. I mean NONE.

·
Administrator
26,666 Posts
Believe me they are perch. Josh is part of the clan that does a lot of the prep and cooking. He knows.

Mc breeze, where do you live? You seem to know so much about fish fry's in the Tri Cities.
Maybe he can take a picture of the raw product before coated with flour or breading and cooked. Then we'll know for sure.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Maybe he can take a picture of the raw product before coated with flour or breading and cooked. Then we'll know for sure.
I guess we will have to wait until lent.
Do you think for one minute that the K of C could get away with selling zander as lake perch. Most of the men that set up and prepare the meal are avid Bay fishermen. Most of the people eating there are avid fishers.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
Just be sure to check your terminology. Lots of restaurants serve "lake perch" that has become generic for any "perch" especially what Wreges is selling to restaurants like the Oasis in Bay City. Most "lake perch" are european.

What we are talking about is "Saginaw Bay Yellow Perch"

I guess we will have to wait until lent.
Do you think for one minute that the K of C could get away with selling zander as lake perch. Most of the men that set up and prepare the meal are avid Bay fishermen. Most of the people eating there are avid fishers.

·
Administrator
26,666 Posts
Just be sure to check your terminology. Lots of restaurants serve "lake perch" that has become generic for any "perch" especially what Wreges is selling to restaurants like the Oasis in Bay City. Most "lake perch" are european.

What we are talking about is "Saginaw Bay Yellow Perch"

European pike-perch aka zander is what is being used in most cases. Available in perch size or walleye size.
It is not "lake perch" from European countries. I have seen some places advertising "zander perch". No such fish. But there is perch size zander.

According to FDA they have specific marketable names that can be used. For walleye its "walleye" or "walleyed pike". If serving zander its "zander" or european pike perch ONLY. Not pickerel, walleye or anything else they think of to sell their product.

I used to have that list but from memory perch only has a couple of marketable names and one is not "lake perch". Yellow perch, yellow bellied perch and a couple more I can't remember.

Hell Big Boy restaurants sell white perch (which is actually a bass) for their lenten fish fries and advertise lake perch. It is called white perch and is in a lake but it is not "lake perch" which everyone is thinking of. Deception at its finest.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Right.. but Wreges in Saginaw calls the fish that they ship out to restaurants "lake perch". It's of course not perch at all and when pressed, they'll tell you it is "perch from europe" lol

European pike-perch aka zander is what is being used in most cases. Available in perch size or walleye size.
It is not "lake perch" from European countries. I have seen some places advertising "zander perch". No such fish. But there is perch size zander.

According to FDA they have specific marketable names that can be used. For walleye its "walleye" or "walleyed pike". If serving zander its "zander" or european pike perch ONLY. Not pickerel, walleye or anything else they think of to sell their product.

I used to have that list but from memory perch only has a couple of marketable names and one is not "lake perch". Yellow perch, yellow bellied perch and a couple more I can't remember.

Hell Big Boy restaurants sell white perch (which is actually a bass) for their lenten fish fries and advertise lake perch. It is called white perch and is in a lake but it is not "lake perch" which everyone is thinking of. Deception at its finest.

·
Administrator
26,666 Posts
Right.. but Wreges in Saginaw calls the fish that they ship out to restaurants "lake perch". It's of course not perch at all and when pressed, they'll tell you it is "perch from europe" lol
So they are commiting fraud. Michigan dept. of Agirculture would love to know that.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Unfortunately businesses go out of business all the time.
They won't be missed by most.
If they fail, maybe they should have had a better business model.

Isn't that what we hear about every other business being squeezed to death during these shut downs?

Personally, I don't feel bad for them at all. The trades are looking for workers....

·
Administrator
26,666 Posts
Cod numbers have declined drastically, in most of the places they exist in the world. Alaska shut down the Cod fishery entirely a couple years ago, and massive restrictions on catch quotas have been implemented in most places. Cod populations have literally crashed. Strangely, Cod prices haven't gone through the roof. But you don't see it in stores in the quantities you used to, if at all.
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/08/7856...-closes-and-industry-braces-for-ripple-effect

https://www.euronews.com/2020/09/01/cod-crisis-stocks-of-europe-s-most-popular-white-fish-collapsing
Krogers ad for this week has cod also for 5.99 lb.

141 - 160 of 159 Posts