Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever seen one around Michigan? I was hunting NP yesterday and I seen what I believe was a Glossy Ibis. After consulting my Sibleys bird book I'm more convinced that it was. And a juvenile in its first winter plumage as it was very dark colored over its entire body. It Flew by close twice and you could see the large curved bill. Pretty cool encounter. Its amazing after standing in the marsh season after season watching thousands of birds fly by how an odd shape and a different wing beat at a distance stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
That is a first, been around the bay on and off all of my life. I've never seen one. Put that one on the list.....:)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Don't know Adam of the kind but I saw one around there a while ago in the spring. Was an interesting sighting anyway. That's cool you saw one

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was a pretty cool encounter. Been fowlin 18 years and never seen one. Wish I woulda snapped a pic with my phone. I was just trying to get a good look at it's characteristics as it passed. If there was a season we coulda got an in hand look at it. Lol

·
Registered
393 Posts
Several years ago, my son and I were duck hunting north of Pinconning and we saw 5 or 6 dark colored birds with the curved bill. They were wading in the shallows feeding on something. We had never seen anything like them before. Stopped at NP and asked them behind the counter and they didn't know what they were from my description. Sounds like it may be the same kind of birds you had seen. They were pretty neat looking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts