Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lookig into buying a new rod that I can use for spring jigging and bass fishing I have narowed it down to these two in either a 6'6 or 7 foot.
I own a Gloomis fly rod and love it. The guarantees are great but the diamond back with the new camo pattern is a nice looking and feeling rod! With just as nice of a warranty both are Lifetime.

Just looking for anyones opinon and why?

·
Super Moderator
37,936 Posts
I am not familiar with Diamondback, but I have severaal G. Loomis rods and I love them. Another very good rod that delivers a lot of rod for the buck is the St. Croix Avid Series. One thing though is a 6.5' rod seems short to me anymore, a longer rod will give you longer casts, more positive hooksets, and better fish control. For jigging I prefer a fast of extra fast taper. Enjoy!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have 7 gloomis rods, and I would not trade them out for anything. I have worn reals out and not had any problem with the rods.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Basscat, you have to catch fish before you wear rods out.ha,ha,ha.. Just fooling around.. Diamondback makes a sweet rod, I know a rep. I don't pour a lot of money is my bass rods, although I do have a couple G-loomis flipping sticks. Basscat let me know when you get the early itch, I've got some super early season smallie spot's, we sould hook up and race Cat's to the honey hole....Later.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Race cats.....Now there's in interesting thought! My wife hates it when I do that. Even though I do not exceed the 55mph speed limit on inland lakes :D I have only been beat once and that was by a single counsel cat. I have a GPS on board and have had it up to 72.3 mph(the speedometer reads 84.1mph but I know this is incorrect). I have not road in a better riding boat! It is a 19' Pantera II with a 200hp Merc.

Sounds like fun!

By the way...Flipping is my favorite technique.

[This message has been edited by Basscat (edited 01-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hey Basscat, well I must admit it isn't my cat, it's my friend Tony's. It's the same boat you have with a jacked up 150, like you said it's a nice ride. My other partner Scott has a 20' Skeeter with a 225 Yamaha, that gets out of the hole real well. The only boat I have is one of those slow ass jet sleds, for the real shallow stuff. Well anyway, my partners and I fish a bunch of local stuff BBT, up around the Grand/White/Muskegon area. If you get up this way give me a shout, maybe we can do some pre-fishing. See ya,

·
Super Moderator
37,936 Posts
Boy oh boy, those are some real fast fish you guys are chasing! My Starcraft Superfisher w\ a Merc. 90 will get me there when you guys are heading in for lunch.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have fished a couple of BBT tourneys. I mostly fish Tri-State Bass, and occasionally fish some NBAA. Muskegon is my favorite lake. I put away the light stuff there and break out the heavy hardware and flip my but off. White Lk is an excellent smallmouth lake. I struggle on the Grand, but with 200 horse's hanging on the back, Muskegon is a short run. I will keep in touch and maybe we can hook up during the summer.

Basscat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.