Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll start off by saying I don’t own a glitter boat but I do admire them, I am required to have a boat with small cabin for ladies.

Seems that Ranger is starting to lose some market share to other brands. Been seeing a lot of other brands of tourney style glass boats in the lake. Am I correct in my observations?

What do you guys who run Skeeter, Warrior, Triton...etc like about your rigs?

Which boat will be tops resale in the years to come?

· Registered
178 Posts
Johnny Morris bought Ranger a few years ago. Some guys say the newer Rangers are garbage, others say they're still a high quality boat. If the garbage reputation is getting out there, maybe that has something to do with it. Nitro came out with some deep V glass boats a few years ago and I see a lot of those on St. Clair now. In my opinion, I have not seen a glass deep V that I thought was laid out well, which will prevent me from even considering one at this time.

· Registered
111 Posts
Lots of variety out there for sure in the last 5 years. Used boat market is ridiculous right now, low supply and strong pricing. Johnny Morris and Great American Outdoors owns Nitro, Triton, Ranger, and a few other salt brands. I own a pre-Morris Ranger and waiting on my new one to come in. Ranger, Phoenix, Bass Cat, and Skeeter are all relatively close in my opinion. If you want a Mercury, then Skeeter is out. Phoenix has very al a carte pricing which can end up higher than Ranger. Caymas is also very pricey. Bass Cat has a loyal following, but I don't like their styling. Charger is now making a Champion hull with their badge on it, which some folks are excited about. I think the increased competition is good for all buyers, drives quality and keeps pricing in check. Can't really go by the pros boats, because I'd fish out of any basically free boat. Just gotta do your research and feel comfortable in your choice of brand, there will always be opinions on the good and bad.. Lastly, don't think Johnny Morris is done with acquiring outdoor brands. Great American Outdoors just bought Sportsmans Warehouse last year, and could likely afford to buy any of the competitive boat brands.

· Registered
1,662 Posts
Neighbor Dan has a 2020 Ranger 1880. I have fished with him and the fit and finish are great so far. Pretty glitter girl and she catches fish. Rides great and fast with a 200 XS. Love that Varoom sound when that v8 cranks up.

· Super Moderator
38,485 Posts
Rangers customer service has taken a crap sice they became just another Tracker. Know two guys who can't get stuff fixed under warranty. They also can't seem to manage to send me the proper bilge plug. They tried twice, I am damn near ready to replace the whole thru hull. If I get a new glitter boat it will probably be a Vexus. I like what I see and hear about them.

· Registered
809 Posts
Rangers customer service has taken a crap sice they became just another Tracker. Know two guys who can't get stuff fixed under warranty. They also can't seem to manage to send me the proper bilge plug. They tried twice, I am damn near ready to replace the whole thru hull. If I get a new glitter boat it will probably be a Vexus. I like what I see and hear about them.
Vexus looks sweet! My only hesitation would be that they are relatively new. I am scheduled for an upgrade in 7 years. Willhopefully be looking at ranger, skeeter,and vexus. Dealership network in SE Michigan will be a big factor. I looked intoa vexus last year (not to buy just curious) and the closest dealer was like over 1.5 hours away which is not a deal breaker, but is not a plus.

· Super Moderator
38,485 Posts
Vexus looks sweet! My only hesitation would be that they are relatively new. I am scheduled for an upgrade in 7 years. Willhopefully be looking at ranger, skeeter,and vexus. Dealership network in SE Michigan will be a big factor. I looked intoa vexus last year (not to buy just curious) and the closest dealer was like over 1.5 hours away which is not a deal breaker, but is not a plus.
I heard a rumor Vexus and Rose Marine have been talking. If Rose picks them up, that might be enough to push me over the edge. Rose is a first class operation.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Premium Member
7,453 Posts
As far as finding a Glitter boat with a cabin I'm not sure I've ever saw one but maybe they're around

I bought a used 2121 Warrior last fall and it's an awesome boat. Tall gunnels, lotta storage, and very comfortable to ride and fish in. It'll take on some big waves and you'll never feel uneasy in it, awesome trolling boat for sure

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

· Registered
809 Posts
I heard a rumor Vexus and Rose Marine have been talking. If Rose picks them up, that might be enough to push me over the edge. Rose is a first class operation.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
That would be awesome! My current boat is from Rose Marine and my experience purchasing it and with maintenance has been fantastic!

· Premium Member
7,687 Posts
The Vexus line is sweet, but don't overlook the "new" Yarcraft line. They were already a solid boat, but now they seriously challenge the Vexus in terms of fit and finish. You'll also spend as much as a Vexus. For kicks, I spent some time on the Yarcraft site using the Build Your Own feature, and a reasonably equipped rig came in at 110k.

· Registered
4,291 Posts
I fished three days this past week in a Warrior 2121. I visually inspected a couple Yar Crafts at the same cabin and on the water. Two primary differences that would be the deal sealer for me between the two: Warrior is deeper on the inside, and although the Yar Craft has a wider beam, it appears to slap more on the water than does the Warrior. The Warrior is just about everything I think I could ever want in a walleye boat, understanding of course that it does have limitations given it is an open boat in which one cannot hide from the rain or sun. One interesting thing that I noticed the other day is that the "people" capacity of the Warrior 2121 is 1200#. To me at least, that seems unreal.

I've not seen a Vexus in person, but I've been in and around the Ranger walleye series for a long time. The market is so saturated with the original hull/design style of the Ranger that the downgrade from Johnny Morris and Co. won't be noticeable in the market for a long time. I looked at a Skeeter up close too, and they seem to be much more shallow inside than the Warrior or even the Ranger. As discussed with my buddy, the Vexus line looks great, but their pricing isn't set at a spot that will make guys want to consider making the change, especially given the company is virtually brand new.

I cannot possibly comprehend how anyone could begin to spend $50,000 on a tin can like a Crestliner, Lund, or Starcraft when they could spend just a bit more and get a used Warrior, Yar Craft, or Ranger. There is absolutely NO comparison between those boats when it comes to overall safety and performance.

I'm a big fan of feeling safe on Lake Erie. That's why I've always liked the Hewescraft boats. They are great, and I would buy one if it was the right deal, but I would also strongly consider a Warrior as well.

· Registered
404 Posts
Love my Warrior 21-21 bought it new in 2019 like others have said it’s a fishing machine! It handles the rough water really well I’ve yet to get any spray back when running and I’ve been out in some rough stuff. Customer service is bar none any questions I’ve had Kent Anderson has called or texted me back in a short amount of time. I can say they do treat you like family at least that’s been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

· Registered
1,069 Posts
After 8 years of fishing my older 97 Ranger Fisherman 681t, a boat I like and enjoy fishing from I decided to upgrade a bit. Found a 2014 618t with low hrs on the 90hp 4 stroke mercury. Had to travel to Leech lake Minnesota to get it. Luckily a buddy that I bought the 681 from now lives near Ironwood in the UP so I made it a three day trip. After many other obligations and stormy weather this past week today will be my first boat ride in the new very glittery boat. I’ve had 7 boats in my lifetime , mostly all were glitter bass boats. This boats price tag is the highest, even higher than my only new boat a 18 foot ProCraft bass rig. Buying used has worked for me as all but one have been used. Dealership that helped in this sale says Ranger boat are really holding their resale value. I love the looks of a shiny glitter boat which ever brand someone decides are the best. Water test today and hopefully the river Monday. Then I have to sell a used 681 that has lots of fishing left in it. I had a bass boat and the 681 at the same time for awhile for different purposes but found usually only one gets used. Also all boats don’t have to be financed for 15 years but depends on how much payment you are comfortable with . Or how much you have saved before the purchase .

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.