Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Glad to see a dedicated UP forum!

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  2PawsRiver 
#1 ·
I'll be checking back when I make my annual trip to see the in-laws in Bruce Crossing/Paulding (just down the road from Bond Falls)

#2 ·
:( Definitely not glad to see a UP forum. I'm sure there are many people with great isolated spots that would hate for tons of other fisherman to show up there. The UP is all about discovering your own spots and working for you catch and returning years later to spots you can sord of call your own. Hope details are always left out of this forum.

#3 ·
There is about 10 thousand isolated spots, 100's of rivers, thousands of creeks only pressure i see is on the obvious and there are very few obvious places to fish.

A majority of people don't want to trudge through snow on opening day, Brave the mosquitos, black flys and ticks from may though july. Or the early winter in september, october. And That alone keeps me on a stretch of river by myself.

#6 ·
Spoon and Wolfgang...I am definately with you. The beauty of the UP is not seeing anyone for days on end. May I suggest the following guifelines regarding posts:

River only:

Water temp/level:

Hatch info:

Productive flies:

With this I think all the UP flyfishers will get some good info. If you decide not to post - no harm and no criticism. As I fish the UP only once a year (I am married to a Yooper), I do like to find some new spots/patterns now and then, as well as an buddy to toss a few flies.

I was not trying to create a stink with my original post, just grateful we have others here that appreciate the UP for its beauty and solitude...OK I am done preaching...please PM me if you would like to discuss. By the way...I have always done well with orange stimulators and would be more than happy to share a recipe with you or anyone here if they don't have one.

Kevin

#7 ·
As long as the skeeters, black flies and no-see-ums are out in full force, the streams should continue to see little pressure. I took my brother-in-law up a couple of years ago during the prime trout fishing season. I don't think he'll be going with me again for a while. I thought he was going to go insane. LOL

By the way, the prime trout season in the UP is when the insects (meat eaters) are the worst.

Once you've experienced the wrath of the meat eaters, you won't even worry about bears and wolves.:D

#8 ·
Them no see ums can't stand yooper blood. All that catsup on the pasties, they love the gravy pasty eaters though. I imagine you have seen the difference between a yooper and a tourist in the streams. The tourist is slapping themselves silly willst da yooper is catching all the fish and drinking a beer, and talking to the animals.;)

I don't see a problem with the fishing holes, we'll just tell you like they do in quebec city, the opposite directions.:p

#9 ·
Between me and my family and many many yooper relatives that I have we know that many favorite spots over the years are overfished and have fewer and much smaller trout than in the past. Thankfully some new spots have also blossomed but even areas once used less we find empty worm containers and well worn trails all over the place.

#10 ·
The trash isn't cool no matter where it is. Some are saying that all the college students fished out the smelt around here, but we know that's not true, its from the bigger fish like the lakers. I have never stumbled upon anyone while I fish or hike. Someday I will but not like out there in la-la land in yellowstone or someplace like that out west. I'm glad the're all over there 500 people taking pictures of that one bison.:eek:

#11 ·
In 25 years of fishing a hidden western UP trout river I have only seen one person while fishing. He was on foot, lost and needed help finding his way to the main road. I was as shocked to see him as he was to see me!

He asked how the fishing was...I said "only getting bites from the bug's" :eek: I'm glad he didn't see the 18" native rainbow I had just released.;) :) I directed him to the main road but not thru my property. It was only an extra 1/4 of a mile the way i sent him.

I may live below the bridge but i bleed UP blood. It will be my home when i retire.

I can smell Grandma T's pasties now. Yummmmm!

:cool:

#14 ·
I am also glad to see a UP specific forum. Being from the UP, reading about the fishing and seeing the old names is like making a trip up there without the drive.

I agree that one of the best things about the UP is the lack of pressure (company) while hunting or fishing. I also agree that alot of it has to do with the amount of energy one is willing to expend to get there.

I go home every spring to fish, but not just the creeks, great small mouth, pike, walleye and Gustufson's:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.