Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 21 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
If they only knew how much tax free $$ they could get every weekend there was ice...........
It's not tax free! The previous owners got in trouble for not paying tax on their income from that business & that led to them going out of business.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Now would be the time to open that place just for take out! They can even make drink specials legally now.

Reactions: on a call

·
Registered
39 Posts
If they only knew how much tax free $$ they could get every weekend there was ice...........
I bet it's not as profitable as you think. If you were to legitimately use it to allow access to the ice I am sure liability insurance would be pretty pricey, both because you're allowing access to the ice, and because their lakefront sucks. I'm surprised more people didn't get injured getting on and off the ice there.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I used to park there for ice fishing when only 5 or 6 cars would be there for the day. And then the internet arrived....

The rest is history.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Is that the place they used to run ice taxis out of? I remember jumping in a huge aluminum tub and being dragged out to fish.

We paid him a few bucks. It was a blast.

You could hear that thing banging on the ice from miles away lol

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ray's used to run an ice taxi years ago, probably back in the very early 70's. Tip's ran a taxi too, but only if you rented a shanty from him. Ray took you out anyway for a few bucks whether or not you rented a shanty from him.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ray's used to run an ice taxi years ago, probably back in the very early 70's. Tip's ran a taxi too, but only if you rented a shanty from him. Ray took you out anyway for a few bucks whether or not you rented a shanty from him.
Was that in a flat bottom boat with a motor on the back and some sort of spiked wheel?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Was that in a flat bottom boat with a motor on the back and some sort of spiked wheel?
No. Ray had a three or four wheeler out there and he pulled us out on a wooden sled that he made. We used to park on the ice behind his little bait shop. I did, however, see that flat bottom rig years ago that you mentioned I think. I saw a flat bottom boat out there that had what looked like a regular outboard motor on it. Had to be air cooled. The guy removed the prop and put what looked lie a circular saw blade on the motor, but it was about an inch thick. He had to turn the motor sideways for the blade to put the boat by running on the surface of the ice. Looked like a rig the guy put together himself. Is this what you remember???

·
Registered
134 Posts
No. Ray had a three or four wheeler out there and he pulled us out on a wooden sled that he made. We used to park on the ice behind his little bait shop. I did, however, see that flat bottom rig years ago that you mentioned I think. I saw a flat bottom boat out there that had what looked like a regular outboard motor on it. Had to be air cooled. The guy removed the prop and put what looked lie a circular saw blade on the motor, but it was about an inch thick. He had to turn the motor sideways for the blade to put the boat by running on the surface of the ice. Looked like a rig the guy put together himself. Is this what you remember???
NOTE: Sorry, my laptop is skipping letters, LOL The blade PUSHED the boat by running on the surface of the ice, and the blade looked LIKE a wide saw blade.

·
Administrator
26,658 Posts
Yup, I remember seeing those.

1 - 21 of 28 Posts