Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Why does everyone use the head of the minnow?

I have not been ice fishing for very long, but i have always used the entire minnow?!

Is it to ensure that they get the hook instead of biting the minnow and spitting it back out?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
There are times where the whole minnow is what they want, but more times than not, when they are finicky, they are more apt to get hooked with just the minnow head. I've caught a ton of perch on just the head, and I think it's because it's easier for them to get their lips around it and get hooked.

later,

MDH

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Perch will always take a minnow head first, alot of times when you are fishing with whole minnows (hooked right in front of the dorsal fin) and there not hungry they suck in just the head of the minnow (not getting the hook in there mouth) and spit it out (predatory instinct?). Just useing a minnow head when they suck it in the hook is in there mouth, blammo...Fish on!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thats along the lines of what i was thinking.

When i hook the minnow, i usually place the hook as close to the head as i can because it always seems to be the way they take the minnow in. They never seem to be that picky as to whether the minnow is sitting perfectly lever or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.