Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really hit with a vengeance this year. It has been a long time since I seen it like this. Berries still a little gren, should redden up in a week or so. Might have to go do some gardening when that happens

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I have never found it truly wild though have known a few plantings of it.

I don’t think it cares for the sand country, maybe?

The only time my Dad has ever seen it wild is on a private 40 (he was marking timber there) that has a clay hill with springs popping out of it. Have been thinking about contacting the current generation of owners there and asking them if we could show it to them, they could decide what to do with it, and we could get just a few berries in return. Would really like to get some true wild Michigan sourced berries to plant.

·
Premium Member
10,977 Posts
They kill for that stuff down south

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
I thought it was illegal to harvest on state or federal land in Michigan. Dunno. I'm sure someone will look up the laws to contradict me though.

I thought it was spelled, ginseng.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
PT, it is slang, just like shrooms. There are a lot of laws regarding it. Might be the prime conditions for it from this spring. I wonder of the invasion of the Chicago deep woods campers will happen again, it has been a while since the last group got busted.

Reactions: PunyTrout

·
Premium Member
31,971 Posts
I thought it was illegal to harvest on state or federal land in Michigan. Dunno. I'm sure someone will look up the laws to contradict me though.

I thought it was spelled, ginseng.
It is illegal to harvest wild ginseng in Michigan on private or public land. Ginseng can be grown as a cultivated crop under artificial shade or natural shade as wild simulated.

·
Registered
19,645 Posts
Really hit with a vengeance this year. It has been a long time since I seen it like this. Berries still a little gren, should redden up in a week or so. Might have to go do some gardening when that happens
Details man , details!

All three prongers or better?

You have a sang plot in your yard to transfer berries or youngens to?

How do you keep blight or critters out?

How much shade?

Loamy soil?

You plant it back where you gather seed? (My guess you do , some.)

L.o.l..

Congrats on finding some!

Reactions: jeffm

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Details man , details!

All three prongers or better?

You have a sang plot in your yard to transfer berries or youngens to?

How do you keep blight or critters out?

How much shade?

Loamy soil?

You plant it back where you gather seed? (My guess you do , some.)

L.o.l..

Congrats on finding some!
3 ,4, 5 prong, even a couple 6 prongers in this particular patch. (My personal best was a 7 prong). Like I said it is a huge patch Majority were 4 prongers though. I always replant berries in general area of where I found them. Sometimes I break plant off at ground level and just replant whole stalk. (Just an experiment in progress). Ginseng grows wild, so I don't do anything to address critters and blight. Except nab red berries and replant them. Birds and squirrels seem to be especially fond of the berries. Another Experiment I got going is planting green berries.. Already been south 3 times digging, bumper crop down there too. I dont understand why it is protected in Michigan. It is just a great hobby that gets me in the woods earlier. Mostly concentrate on seng, and a lunch bag of yellow root.(personal use). I will dig from middle of August till about a week after a heavy killing frost. If you ever do try to transplant berries, make sure to get a small bag of dirt from same area berries came from, that seems to be the ticket to making them grow. Never paid much attention to soil type, But that is a good point and I will start paying more attention to it. if I had to guess, Loamy soil would get the nod. Like it is a great purposeful time walking in the woods.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
It is illegal to harvest wild ginseng in Michigan on private or public land. Ginseng can be grown as a cultivated crop under artificial shade or natural shade as wild simulated.

Spoil sport! Use to be big money for the pioneers!

Reactions: Petronius

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another one I look for was called the staff of life, by my dad. Havent found any since he passed away, but I am looking

1 - 20 of 32 Posts