Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Right on bobber I fished Sunday for a couple hours and couldn't take the wind any longer after breaking down my flip over I looked inside to make sure everything was there, and the wind picked up and lifted the bar and knocked me in the nose I still gave the people next to me my 2 perch, but it was hard work for nothing:)

·
Registered
20,767 Posts
Depends on my fish stock.
And I ain't got no fish!

If a cat can eat it , I can fillet it.
Potatoe chips sized fillet potential fish (legal sized of course) beware if nothing bigger is showing up. Lest a dozen go for a ride.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Depends on the fish. I've caught 5 to 6 inch gills that look like they are on roids and I've caught 7 and 8 inch gills that are paper thin that being said 7 to 9 inches is normal when I'm fishing bay gills. Perch I use the same standards I do for woman fat, thin, short or tall I'll take em all.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I only keep mounters so idk Aj lol. I coulda kept 10 limits Sunday of those 7” fish. Just kept waiting for em to get bigger. Only a few did. We are def spoiled in the spring. Swear i caught the same damn fish 300 times. Love me some gills but I still have to get tanks to make it worth keeping. I hate cleaning em so it’s gotta be worth it. Probably will have to lower my standards next time tho lol

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Sounds like you guys have some great winter pan fish fishing if you have an 8" minimum on gills. Like others have said...all depends on motives and your access to good fish. Can be hard to find public access to 8" gills through the ice over here on the west side. I have no problem filleting up 6" gills if that's all that is available. But I've had some access to private waters where it was 8" or not even bother. I'm usually targeting pike through the ice though. It's seems easier to find good eating pike through the ice on public waters than 7-8" gills. But If I lived on the east side, I'd probably do more walleye and pan fish fishing through the ice. I love doing it, just have a hard time finding them in the winter. Open water is a different story.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I'm at pretty much an 8" minimum on gills, crappie, perch on LSC.

I do know of a couple inland lakes/private ponds where it's tough to get an 8" gill but you can catch all the 7+" you want. If I'm in the mood for gills then I'll keep those.
Sounds like Fletchers. First time I ever fished it (icefishing) a few years ago, we didn't touch an 8" gill but we did have plenty of 7-7 1/2"ers along with some BIG crappie. Those gills all had "shoulders" to them and filleted up nice.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Sounds like Fletchers. First time I ever fished it (icefishing) a few years ago, we didn't touch an 8" gill but we did have plenty of 7-7 1/2"ers along with some BIG crappie. Those gills all had "shoulders" to them and filleted up nice.
I haven't fished either of the lakes in many years but one was a small impoundment of the Rouge - I'd catch gills there that were like 7" but they already had that big forehead and shrunk-in face.

The other place I know of was a private gravel pit we'd sneak into. I mainly targeted nice crappie there but you could get into the gills and some days catch easy limits and be lucky to catch an 8" - they were all cookie cutter 7-7.5"

·
Registered
377 Posts
For gills and Sunnie's that sweet spot is 7.5-8.5 inches for me. Over 9 I let most of them go. For perch it is an 8 in cutoff for me. Not that I catch many over 12 but I usually let those go also.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
This basically mirrors my "rules". If I'm not catching much, I will sometimes end up measuring a gill that ends up being only 7 inches, before throwing it back. Same with a 7.5 inch perch. On a good day, I will try to keep only 9 and up for perch. For Crappies my minimum is nine or ten inches.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts