Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just texting Kevin n Norm. I kept 4 gills yesterday and 1 crappie. 1 gill was 8 1/8th" other 3 were 7 1/2", crappie 10"
Anyways what I was wondering and know been posted but didn't wanna search.
The 3 7+"ers I could've easily kept my limit no doubt... My buddy even said "we've got a couple like it ya sure"?.. We must've had an hour towards dark where it was hand over fist nonstop windmilling em in, all 7"ers... here's the 8 1/8th

Organism Body of water Fish Fisherman Water

Was too damn cold to play on phone for any other pics but did just clean and eat em all and 5 fish has me stuffed! Almost couldn't put it all down on a wrap..

I'm curious though.. what's all your guys cut offs? Keepers ? Specifically gills ? I might have to start keeping 7 1/2" during ice.

Gotta remember myself and @Papa Liver are spoiled rotten when it comes to gills !! There isn't a fish in that cooler under 8" or probably even more..

Just curious gents. Felt great to be on ice!!!!

Food Ingredient Recipe Seafood Cuisine

·
41,312 Posts
Depends...

If I'm expecting to bring home a meal of 8-9" then 8" minimum. If I'm fishing where if I don't keep 7"+ I'm not likely to get a meal, then 7" is the cut off.

7" is the absolute minimum I'd want to keep, but sometimes 8"+ requirement is just asking to go hungry.

·
Super Moderator
3,251 Posts
Early in the season I may keep some smaller ones.... because I am wanting to "EAT" them....

later after a meal or two I will start to get a little more picky...

I don't have a boat so until God gives me the ice I get a little anxious...

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Was just texting Kevin n Norm. I kept 4 gills yesterday and 1 crappie. 1 gill was 8 1/8th" other 3 were 7 1/2", crappie 10"
Anyways what I was wondering and know been posted but didn't wanna search.
The 3 7+"ers I could've easily kept my limit no doubt... My buddy even said "we've got a couple like it ya sure"?.. We must've had an hour towards dark where it was hand over fist nonstop windmilling em in, all 7"ers... here's the 8 1/8th

View attachment 810297
Was too damn cold to play on phone for any other pics but did just clean and eat em all and 5 fish has me stuffed! Almost couldn't put it all down on a wrap..

I'm curious though.. what's all your guys cut offs? Keepers ? Specifically gills ? I might have to start keeping 7 1/2" during ice.

Gotta remember myself and @Papa Liver are spoiled rotten when it comes to gills !! There isn't a fish in that cooler under 8" or probably even more..

Just curious gents. Felt great to be on ice!!!!

View attachment 810298
Nice ones A J! Hell, up here I’m happy keepin 6 1/2’s!! Lol, & I filet em!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
For perch 8" is the minimum unless I'm doing well with some bigger fish, then it might move up. If fishing is a struggle, maybe 7" or 7.5".

I just eyeball gills and make a decision.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I’ve cleaned many 7” gills (and some smaller) and as long as you have a good sharp knife you can get a tasty little filet off each side. With that being said, I’d prefer to keep 7 1/2-8 1/2” gills but if they have some loins to them, 7” will work. Crappie I prefer in the 10-12” range.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Depends on the day, the lake and how hungry for fish I am.

An old(er) man told me once, “ my buddies used to tease me on the size of the smaller fish I would keep. But I’d tell them, yeah, but when that little guy is fried up and sitting on a platter next to some big ones, which fish do you take first? You know it’s that little crispy fellow”
And in my case, ol’ Don is right

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice ones A J! Hell, up here I’m happy keepin 6 1/2’s!! Lol, & I filet em!
Lotta of in land lakes don't compare to LSC and the size of the panfish, we're lucky!

Come on Aj 7.5” you been hanging around greelhappy too much ! You been making “ chowder” 😂🤣😂 good to see ya on the ice and catching bud !
Not perch Doug ;) you're too "cool" for gills..lol.

I’ve cleaned many 7” gills (and some smaller) and as long as you have a good sharp knife you can get a tasty little filet off each side. With that being said, I’d prefer to keep 7 1/2-8 1/2” gills but if they have some loins to them, 7” will work. Crappie I prefer in the 10-12” range.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
I can clean em and clean em well..

I've kept and cleaned 1 fish before that was smaller than the fish in my wife's aquarium! Can't eat em if you don't keep em.
@Old lund that's Bernie !! 🤣

Just taking everyone's opinion. I'm sure I'll still throw the 7 1/2"s back but maybe, maybe not.. Hopefully next trip they're all just "no doubters" like the 8 1/8th was....

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For perch 8" is the minimum unless I'm doing well with some bigger fish, then it might move up. If fishing is a struggle, maybe 7" or 7.5".

I just eyeball gills and make a decision.
I get way more meat off a 7 +" gill then a 7" perch wouldn't keep one. Way thicker shoulders on gills and I get the belly meat on both as well. I like the belly meat on all fish. Know it's not good for ya but I smoke too and other bad habits, so.....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts