Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if gills are still in canals? This was my first year fishing canals, wasn't sure how long they stayed in them after first ice...any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I sure hope so because I'm planning on hitting a canal and marina Friday and Saturday AM.

I did pretty well in New Baltimore area marinas two weekends ago then wanted to hit the condos next to Gino's when I knew the canal leading into there was frozen (violated rule number 1: Don't leave fish to find fish) and it was down right horrible. Two visits, slowest I've seen it in there and it didn't look like anyone else was doing much better. I'm not sure if I want to try there again this weekend or head back north but we'll see.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Condos next to ginos got hit really hard before first ice. I'm guessing that's y it's been slow for most in there. That's always a good first ice spot and it was rough this year (atleast for me it was)

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
You gotta be one of the first ones on that ice to get that red hot first ice gill bite. And than be one of the last to get off the ice for that last ice gill bite. Thats just the way it is. You can still do good but the one after another 9's jumping into your bucket is hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've had good luck in there typically for a week or so after people start fishing it in the past but this year it was dead. I should have known when I went in there on a Friday morning at 8am and I was the first one there....

And by the way, does anyone know what happened to Ficious (Harry)? Haven't seen him post in a long time and don't see much talk about his jigs anymore.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I've had good luck in there typically for a week or so after people start fishing it in the past but this year it was dead. I should have known when I went in there on a Friday morning at 8am and I was the first one there....

And by the way, does anyone know what happened to Ficious (Harry)? Haven't seen him post in a long time and don't see much talk about his jigs anymore.
Harry is still around, just laying low. Doesn't post reports anymore after they pasted advertisements all over his reports even with him being a supporting member. He posts pics and reports on his ficious jigs website.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can always find them in the canals, it is just whether or not they are in there good or not. It all depends on the amount of ice and the water temperature for whether they are in the canals or out in the lake.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I just looked for Harrys web page and couldnt find it :(. Man, I don't know what I'm gonna do if I can't get any more glow green bug eyes :(.

·
Administrator
17,413 Posts
I fished my favorite first ice canal in the 21 mile area the past two weekends.
Fishing 1/3 and 1/4 we took two-man limits each day (100 fish) of about 50-50 big crappie and gills.
Last Sunday (1/11), I fished the same area and worked MULTIPLE canals for miles. Fishing from 7:30 am - 1:30 pm, I only put a combination of 12 crappie and gills in the bucket.
They sure moved somewhere on me... :dizzy:
<----<<<

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Chartreuse bug eye fry... currently sold out, for good reason. My go to jig for canals, all 4 seasons.
I had Sherri at Anglers Pointe dig them out this Spring and bought 5 of them :D, knda makes me look like I know what I am doing :lol:. My go to jig, although have done real well on the pink and purple one he has out, and the watermelon color I bought last year. Hell I don't think you can go wrong with any of his jigs, I guess.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes Harry is around and well he is a member of my Facebook group and post there and on his website mostly now...if anyone is interested in joining and still staying in contact with Harry and your on facebook pm me and I will give you the group name to join...for some reason when only I mention it in a post it gets deleted. Tight lines to all.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yes Harry is around and well he is a member of my Facebook group and post there and on his website mostly now...if anyone is interested in joining and still staying in contact with Harry and your on facebook pm me and I will give you the group name to join...for some reason when only I mention it in a post it gets deleted. Tight lines to all.
I believe I am the latest member of your Facebook group (Kevin).

Is it comprised of mostly St. Clair fisherman or what?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mostly Kevin, but have members from all over...group is only 2 weeks old....and we are definitely trying to expand to members from all over Michigan...and hopefully to expand to chapters in other states...currently planning a meet and greet for February.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts