Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am an Ohio resident (I live on the border of Ohio and Michigan) and am going to be gifting a gun to my buddy for his birthday, who happens to be a Michigan resident. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to do this? I have searched for hours and cannot find anything!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I got a rifle from a guy in another state recently, similar process. You just drive with him to an FFL in MI, set the gun on the counter & let the shop do their thing. It would be the same as if it was shipped there. Most FFLs(that I deal with) will accept guns for transfer from a private individual, non-FFL. Ask the shop ahead of time, about costs too.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Not quite sourdough, for nabellrn to do that he would have to have Ohio’s version of a CPL, if he does then proceed just as you stated, if he does not, he can not legally transport it in MI, he would need to ship it to a FFL of their choosing. To the OP, under no circumstances can the giftee come and get it, the giftee taking it across state lines could get him a felony charge.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
So are you saying, a non-res without a CC license can’t transport a handgun in MI? I find that hard to believe.

For conversation purposes we’re talking that this handgun is unloaded, cased, and in the trunk of a vehicle. It’s assumed this transporter is legally able to own the gun in his own State, not a felon or anything.
1791374F-A5AF-4DD8-A8F1-4C194707B919.png

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not quite sourdough, for nabellrn to do that he would have to have Ohio’s version of a CPL, if he does then proceed just as you stated, if he does not, he can not legally transport it in MI, he would need to ship it to a FFL of their choosing. To the OP, under no circumstances can the giftee come and get it, the giftee taking it across state lines could get him a felony charge.
If you follow Michigan gun transport laws you can transport a pistol or long gun in Michigan as a non-resident. People do this all the time when they come to Michigan from out of state to hunt here.

When transporting a firearm in Michigan, non-residents must transport pistols in compliance with MCL 750.231a (discussed above in the Transporting Firearms section), unless they have a concealed pistol license issued by their state of residence.

·
Premium Member
31,200 Posts
If you follow Michigan gun transport laws you can transport a pistol or long gun in Michigan as a non-resident. People do this all the time when they come to Michigan from out of state to hunt here.

When transporting a firearm in Michigan, non-residents must transport pistols in compliance with MCL 750.231a (discussed above in the Transporting Firearms section), unless they have a concealed pistol license issued by their state of residence.

Read further for the rule on non-residents.

Out-of-state residents Non-residents may legally possess a firearm more than 30 inches in length in Michigan. In order for a non-resident to possess a pistol in Michigan, he or she must either be licensed to carry a concealed pistol or be licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol. The ownership of property in Michigan does not qualify a non-resident to possess a pistol in Michigan.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Ok do what you want, I know what I have seen out of state‘ers get arrested for.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I just saw when browsing the bear regs on page 20 you need a CPL or a license to purchase, transport, or carry from home state.

·
Premium Member
31,200 Posts
I just saw when browsing the bear regs on page 20 you need a CPL or a license to purchase, transport, or carry from home state.
MCL 28.422

·
Registered
855 Posts
Read further for the rule on non-residents.

Out-of-state residents Non-residents may legally possess a firearm more than 30 inches in length in Michigan. In order for a non-resident to possess a pistol in Michigan, he or she must either be licensed to carry a concealed pistol or be licensed by his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol. The ownership of property in Michigan does not qualify a non-resident to possess a pistol in Michigan.
Some of the most ridiculous legislation I’ve heard of. Looks like he would be breaking the law. I have heard if you are just passing through a state one is exempt from such restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
So if one was moving from another state to Michigan, one would have to get some form of license to possess, carry, or transport the firearms from the state they are moving from in order to bring their pistols in? That’s the most asinine thing I’ve ever heard of!

·
Registered
855 Posts
So if one was moving from another state to Michigan, one would have to get some form of license to possess, carry, or transport the firearms from the state they are moving from in order to bring their pistols in? That’s the most asinine thing I’ve ever heard of!
Agree totally. The only other choice would be to ship to an ffl.

·
Premium Member
31,200 Posts
Some of the most ridiculous legislation I’ve heard of. Looks like he would be breaking the law. I have heard if you are just passing through a state one is exempt from such restrictions.
Michigan law goes back to the olden days when handgun laws were more strict in many most states. Few allowed concealed carry and most didn't allow open carry. States that required some form of registration or license to own a handgun restricted possession by non-residents.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
MCL 28.422

Does it say something else than the digest?

·
Premium Member
31,200 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,200 Posts
Reactions: shaffe48b

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Ihave been saying and criticized for it that MIs gun laws are intertwined and written by people who have little idea of what they mean. Thanks for confirming.

Write your state rep/senator and tell them of your experiences.
Also try and get rid of handgun REGISTRATION-one of 4 states w/ to have such anti civil rights law. Was put in place over 100 yrs to keep former slave gunless/defenless.

I maintain that no crime was ever solved w/ the registration.

When I came from Ohio 50 yrs ago I brought a S&W K22. Took it to the sheriff to be SAFETY INSPECTED. It wasnt registration then.

The gun was passed thru the window at the sheriff and in a few minutes I was asked "HOW MANY SHOT IS IT??" So much for any safety being comfirmed by someone who cant even count holes in the cylinder. Wish Id said "ten."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts