Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a patch of what I believe to be this poisonous invasive plant while fishing on federal land in Mackinac County over the weekend. Being that the Feds are on lay off I am wondering if anyone from the DNR would like to verify if what I found is what I think it is. Send me a pm.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The city I work at gets a few calls a year and the suspect is always identified as cow parsnips. There should be some seeds still on the plant. if you take a look at the oil glands? on the seed there is a difference between hogweed and parsnips. Not sure if state people would help on fed land; but they might help i.d. if you brought a sample to them.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very similar to cow parsnip, the frost has hit and the plants are dying off so right now it is difficult to tell. The flower heads are large, lots of purple in the stems. Although the leaves are very large they are about 2 feet long and 2 feet across. I am not going to be the person to get close enough to this plant to make a positive ID but I have been reasonably close to it. The plants in the sunlit areas are about 9 feet tall and the base of the stem is about as big around as a half dollar. I would be willing to show them to a biologist and let them determine what they are. Could be either or now that I have looked at the cow parsnip.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Contact the local conservation District, They have people that look into invasive species. They may be limited in some ability due to shut down but they may have some access as they are a local unit of government but work out of a federal building.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have left my camera behind a couple of times and by the time I get back there again the frost and upcoming rains will have done their damage. I am no longer going to be overly concerned about it again until spring and I can get a positive ID.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts