Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Bait was pretty scarce yesterday afternoon, nothing like it was on the weekend. Few steel being caught by those lucky enough to get a spot, pretty busy.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Anyone see the little kid catch one on a spoon yesterday? Heard about it from a buddy.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Hard to even get a spot, I don't know why everyone needs to post on FB and other...outlets about it. 3am. is to late now, GH has turned into st. joe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hard to even get a spot, I don't know why everyone needs to post on FB and other...outlets about it. 3am. is to late now, GH has turned into st. joe.
It seems like a lot of people like fishing in a crowd! I don't even fish there but hear of reports from people I know that know guys that frequent it and it seems like they just want more company by the reports they give its a joke.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't think you old timers understand the best part of fishing. The most exciting part of catching a fish is right after your buddy snaps a photo with you and your catch and the light house in the background. Then you get to upload to 37 different facebook groups with the headline "just stacking cordwood on the pier". So glorious. Can't believe you guys enjoy catching fish and just putting it on a stringer. AND Yes, this post was pure sarcasm. =)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well, heck; let me help ya'll out on everywhere I've caught steelhead on piers in the summer south of the big sable point; and at least heard reports.

Michigan City, spotty, new buffalo , st Joe, South haven, sagatuck, holland good; port Sheldon spotty; grand haven good; Muskegon good, Whitehall spotty..

Grand haven is popular for many reasons; easy access; is one; but more likely is the couple thousand tourists a day on the south pier; and a few hundred on the north. Not to mention the number of boats, and pier camera still on the south. If you were looking for rugged adventure try one of the less popular spots. Or make a run past the point. I'm surprised how often I'm alone or nearly so at some of those locations. Yes the same techniques work.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well, heck; let me help ya'll out on everywhere I've caught steelhead on piers in the summer south of the big sable point; and at least heard reports.

Michigan City, spotty, new buffalo , st Joe, South haven, sagatuck, holland good; port Sheldon spotty; grand haven good; Muskegon good, Whitehall spotty..

Grand haven is popular for many reasons; easy access; is one; but more likely is the couple thousand tourists a day on the south pier; and a few hundred on the north. Not to mention the number of boats, and pier camera still on the south. If you were looking for rugged adventure try one of the less popular spots. Or make a run past the point. I'm surprised how often I'm alone or nearly so at some of those locations. Yes the same techniques work.
Great post.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
I agree you can catch them wherever, I have caught them all the way up to frankfort, doesnt make it any easier to fish with 200 guys on the pier. And i guarantee that day in a nd day out, Musk. WHite, Pent, all them wont come close to GH or every one south of GH. I prefer to catch fish when I go so I dont wanna drive 2 hours North to get 1 or 2 to fish alone. Either way its not a big deal just funny to me how people dont put 2 and 2 together, lets post on how many we caught, then u get there and they all bitch about not having a spot or that your running 3 rods. I just leave it alone now, not worth the headache, thanks social media

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Social media is definitely pier fishing's biggest enemy.

It is funny how some folks just don't understand how many people will see a posted photo, or posted report about their fishing success.

Have to swap piers or fishing times occasionally to beat the crowds. May not catch as many fish, but its more enjoyable.

B

Reactions: Sparky23

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If guys feel the need to brag online, get your hero shot kneeled down holding the fish at the edge of the pier, have a buddy stand above you, only getting the water and nothing else in the background. Never mention exact location. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
234 Posts
and whats with all these random people walking down and back on the pier? don't they know this is a secret fishing spot and the fisherman are annoyed?

talked to a couple buddies and a few of those skams are getting caught at the secret dam in downtown grand rapids if you want to get away from the crowd :D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
are there a lot of sheepshead?
There are a ton of them, they walk all over the pier peering into the buckets asking if we've caught anything and commenting on the big "minnows" that we use for bait. They'll often try to run you over with bikes or strollers as well. Mostly on the south side.

As far as fishing goes you can catch quite a few freshwater drum in the river, as on most lake michigan breakwaters.

Reactions: rugbym10sflyu

·
Registered
100 Posts
There are a ton of them, they walk all over the pier peering into the buckets asking if we've caught anything and commenting on the big "minnows" that we use for bait. They'll often try to run you over with bikes or strollers as well. Mostly on the south side.

As far as fishing goes you can catch quite a few freshwater drum in the river, as on most lake michigan breakwaters.
Lol thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts