Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The landowner of the 50 acres I've been hunting in Washtenaw County has granted me permission to go ahead and plant food plots. I've purchased and read the book "Grow Em Right" and have a decent idea how to proceed.

The acreage is about half wooded and half open field (mostly gone to hay, but some residual alfalfa). My plan is to plant the back 5 acres or so of the open field with a food plot, so doing any of it by hand is out of the question.

Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm no farmer. I don't have access to tractors and their accessories, or even a four wheeler for that matter. Are there places that rent this equipment? Better yet, does anyone perform this service for a fee? I'd surely appreciate any tips anyone could offer to get me started. I'd like to target the month of May to get going.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Tom:

Welcome to the fun club.

You are a begginer and perhaps you should start slow. Neil Doughertys book is an excellant source of info. good move.

I'm thinking that you should put in attractant type of food plots. That five acre plot would be classified as a feed plot, while this large field can also serves as an attractant plot it is more difficult for success as well as to big a bite for you to start.

Tom. think about preparing a strip of land about 60 feet wide in the open old hay field bordering the entire length of that wooded area. You might also think about hand spraying that strip this early May with round up and in two weeks hand broadcast fertilizer for corn in a 30 feet swath next to the woods. Have a local farmer disk the entire 60 feet width up. Tom, you then broadcast round up ready corn by hand with a spreader at 20 lbs per acre in the 30 feet wide strip next to the woods. Then have this farmer disk the 30 feet wide corn broadcasted area again, followed by a cultipacking. Four weeks later spray the young corn with round up. Four weeks later spray again with round up. Round up ready corn is resistant to the round up herbicide and will not die, while the weeds and grass will.

The 30 feet strip not planted should be tilled every two weeks until mid July. Around the end of July broadcast 100 lbs per acre of round up ready soybeans and 200 lbs of 19-19-19 fertilizer per acre. Have this same farmer disk the soys and fertilizer and follow with a cultipacking. 3-4 weeks later spray with round up and follow with a hand broadcasting of 4-5 lbs per acre of biologic Maximum and 75 lbs of wheat per acre.

Tom, if you can, make a trail or two of the same soy, biologic maximum, and wheat planting in the woods leading to the 60 feet wide strip of the smorsgasbord you laid out for the deer. The 30 feet wide strip of corn will put the deer at ease as they move past your tree stand. Make sure it is at least 30 feet wide. You can also set up on the food plot trail in the woods.

Keep the fun in hunting!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
For more of Ed`s fine advise, I would recommend you buy his book.

Ed`s book

·
Registered
36,680 Posts
Check out the habitat forum, there is tons of info regarding food plots, links and government help.

There are also videos available on this subject.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts