Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start guiding hunters for turkeys. I have hunted them for 10 years and have been successful all 10. I have found the key for me on taking turkeys. That key is to hunt hard, all day and smart. I do lots of scouting and get permission from land owners as much as possible.

I am not real concerned about the money part of it. Maybe gas money and lunch to start. I would like to help people learn about turkey hunting. I enjoy it more then deer hunting and can't wait until spring season. I talk to alot of guys who need help with there turkey hunting skills. I am not an expert, but I do have a passion for turkey hunting. I have been to many seminars and also have attended Turkey Tech Univ. at A-way hunting.

So how should I start?

Thanks

Parrothead

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I have guided lots of buddies and their kids in the past just because I love turkey hunting. Got to hunt and then guide the entire season for a number of years. Like you mentioned, I didn't do it for a fee, mainly to extend my time in the turkey woods. The trill of calling one in for another is as exciting as being the hunter. In the process, I've taught friends how to hunt them and they are on there own and successful now. My short list of buddies don't need my help and having 2 kids has cramped my time so I'm not planning any guiding this year except for my wife. I've seen a few requests for guides in the forum, scroll down through past threads and you will find some. You might get some interest from this post from other members. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Parrot, I have guided for many years now with killing many big gobblers. The deal is, is how do YOU want it to go.

Do you want to take STRANGERS to your private land?

Do you want to get paid for your time, gear, and gas?

Do you HAVE the time to take clients during the week if you are unsuccessful on the weekend?

Do you want to charge a daily fee, or a SHOOTING fee?

I know a guy who charges $125 for a shot at a bearded turkey. If a jake comes in he has done his job, but will still hunt the entire day.

So there are some unanswered questions you have to think about before commiting to ACTUALLY guiding turkeys.

I say I guided, but I never took money. I took family and friends, so I guess you can say I didnt guide, but I took them hunting with me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts