Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have a picture of one you've water swatted before? Kinda Curious, doesnt seem like it would do much damage?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Walter sniper- you are so very talented!! I couldn't have decoys that nice! Take two hours after the hunt to put them away!:D I would like to see a video of you doing one from beginning to end.

Reactions: walter sniper

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Can they be too nice to use? I've seen worse paint jobs sitting on mantles...
It's not the paint work , but the construction that makes decorative birds fragile. If you build a robust decoy, it will last, independent of the volume of time you put in on painting details. I just carve my bills a little thicker and don't go overboard on the wing and feather detail.

What are you using for head stock, Walt. Looks like pine on the mallard?

·
Registered
17,367 Posts
I'm not the Op.

When I make corkers I leave the tails blunt and thick, and carve the heads from old growth pine. I got a stock of 2x6 from a remodel that are straight with about 30 growth rings per inch and carve beautifully.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'm not the Op.

When I make corkers I leave the tails blunt and thick, and carve the heads from old growth pine. I got a stock of 2x6 from a remodel that are straight with about 30 growth rings per inch and carve beautifully.
Walt's stock reminds me of the bottom board stock I bought this last winter which was a conifer from New Zealand...very broad growth rings.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not the paint work , but the construction that makes decorative birds fragile. If you build a robust decoy, it will last, independent of the volume of time you put in on painting details. I just carve my bills a little thicker and don't go overboard on the wing and feather detail.

What are you using for head stock, Walt. Looks like pine on the mallard?
Basswood heads

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Basswood heads
Interesting, the scaup are basswood heads done off a Jim Wicks head that he gave me because his dog chewed the bill end off. The wood is out of Wisconsin mill and very tight. Redheads have tupelo heads that I bought off of eBay...very nice carving wood without the "fuzz" of basswood. I am trying to add some different high head postures to my full cork redhead rig to augment the wooden soldier look. They all have two base coats of gesso on them now over two coats of sealer. The finished scaup hen is a basswood head from this run, on an e Allen body that I enlarged a bit. The hens on the first row are black cork with basswood heads all sealed in epoxy-two coats prior painting.
Greater scaup + redheads 001.JPG
Greater scaup + redheads 001.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Interesting, the scaup are basswood heads done off a Jim Wicks head that he gave me because his dog chewed the bill end off. The wood out of Wisconsin mill and very tight. Redheads have tupelo heads that I bought off of eBay...very nice carving wood without the "fuzz" of basswood. I am trying to add some different high head postures to my full cork redhead rig to augment the wooden soldier look. They all have two base coats of gesso on them now. The finished scaup hen is a basswood head from this run, on an e Allen body that I enlarged a bit. The hens on the first row are black cork with basswood heads all sealed in epoxy-two coats prior painting. View attachment 433051 View attachment 433051
Greater scaup + redheads 002.JPG

The redhead file is there, but won't enlarge...so I'll post it again.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
DSC00113.JPG
DSC01138.JPG
size you desire, outside of their standard stock dimensions. I just bought a tupelo size large enough to function as head stock, and the eBay price was quite reasonable.

Canvasback in Ronan's and oils. From nearly fifteen years ago.

I overpaint Golden's bone black with gray with some modeling medium in it and the comb it to get the vermiculation on redheads, just another approach for folks to consider.

Hen cans are Restle/Trestle coated using Titebond III and cork dust, two coats, over WWII era balsa life raft shards. Jim Wicks, prior ceasing to carve waterfowl decoys did a lot of ringnecks in balsa...looked like a the material was a joy to work. This stuff was not, since it was composed of different density and ply direction pieces pinned together with hardwood dowels. I made two more birds out of the last of it and never tried the "good stuff".

Pleasure to "talk" with you, Walt, hope your season goes well! Take care!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts