Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After doing some reading on here I want to get in to steelhead, salmon, trout fishing, sounds like a lot of fun. But I have never done it.

I have never fished for salmon, trout, steelhead fish before. I would like to get in to it and was wondering what gear I would need. Most of on my fishing will be in streams, rivers or fishing from shore for now, I have a little 12ft boat for now. Would an open face reel work VS a fly rod and real? Baits I should pick up. Waiters what style do you prefer, rubber or neoprene? Or can you direct me to a book or videos on fishing for them.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Look in the river forums for lots of information.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
After doing some reading on here I want to get in to steelhead, salmon, trout fishing, sounds like a lot of fun. But I have never done it.

I have never fished for salmon, trout, steelhead fish before. I would like to get in to it and was wondering what gear I would need. Most of on my fishing will be in streams, rivers or fishing from shore for now, I have a little 12ft boat for now. Would an open face reel work VS a fly rod and real? Baits I should pick up. Waiters what style do you prefer, rubber or neoprene? Or can you direct me to a book or videos on fishing for them.

Thank you all!

neoprene for winter bretheables for summer or just neopreens. rods a longer rod like okuma sts in a9-10 foot 6 inch 4-12 or even 8-15 line weight of 1/4 -3/4 once about spinning reel i think is an open faced reel in terms of closed face verus open faced spinning reels. flies nymphs, eggs, woolly buggers , and three way swivels also rapalas , cleos spoons, yozuri crystal minnows etc.. can be used for them. you could even learn spawn egg loops in mono etc.. but there is a rig i will find you in a minute for your knowledge. to use it one i use up north all the time for trout to steel and even salmon. btw 4-6 lb test for trout steel 8-10 lb test but if you can get away with 17lbtest use it see my point and for salmon 12-20 lb test for drift fishing. any ways do some more searching this has been over done to death by many people see why the other guy replied the way he did. any ways wish ya the best of luck.

link to 3 way swivel rig for salmon / steel / trout btw genral pourpose link to for info
http://www.steelheaduniversity.com/Pink_Salmon.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts