Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a small hole in my boot last season on my neos and patched it for the last weekend, but I do not like running around with a patch determining how my day will go. So, it is time to take the plunge and get some breatheables.

It seems like there are some decent deals right now, like Rogers Elite for 229, and I am wondering if this is going to be as good as the sales get, or if they get better further into summer. I am also considering waiting until July and buying the new Avery Heritage old-school pattern waders, but I am sure the price will be in a different realm than these Roger's waders. But man, I have a serious fetish for the old school pattern.

Let me hear your thoughts, what waders you like, if you find any good deals.

· Registered
210 Posts
Buy whatever pair of breathable wader that fits your budget and you won't be disappointed in comfort compared to neoprene. They are certainly not as warm, but you can layer up underneath if needed. One can easily debate which ones to buy and how much to spend, there are several considerations regarding cost vs. expected life. I bucked up and bought the Sitka and will say they are certainly very comfortable. With their warranty I'm hoping they will last me many, many years to come.

· Registered
1,246 Posts
I have had the Rogers insulated breathables for a few seasons and really like them. No issues, really warm and comfortable. They just came out with a new version with a Primaloft liner. I am tempted by these even though my current pair is still in great shape.

· Registered
358 Posts
I switched to breathables and have never looked back. As mentioned before, layer for the weather. Fleece pants and wool socks. I went with cabelas/bass pro breathable waders due to their warranty. If something goes wrong you take them back and they swap them out. They aren’t going to break the bank. Wading boots were only $40 and I actually prefer the feel of them over the connected boot style

· Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I am not too worried about getting cold. Both the toughman and elite have zip out liners for that. Stocking foot is definitely an interesting thought. I was thinking about those at a fly shop the other day. I fear the boots wouldnt retain the same heat though.

What is the difference between the primaloft and the regular liner? The elites have 80g primaloft, and toughman has 120g "liner". Aside from that and more shell loops, is the liner really a 50 dollar difference in performance?

· Registered
1,246 Posts
I have stocking foot breathables I wear early in the season. They are better for hiking/wading, but definitely don't keep your feet near as warm as insulated bootfoots.

In my experience, Primaloft is just a superior synthetic insulation. That said, my non-primaloft liners are really warm.

· Registered
3,131 Posts
My next pair will be the High and Dry brand waders.

Check em out. They are expensive, but I've heard great reports. One from an Arkansas Duck guide who claims three seasons and still going strong. That compared to all the "duck" brand waders that are junk for the most part. My cabelas breathables just but the dust after 3 years of very light use.

I will fix them with some 3m 5200. Supposed to be some good stuff for wader repair.

· Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I checked again and the rogers toughman became available in brown, which I guess I want for whatever reason, so I pulled the trigger on those. Refreshed the page and it says that size and color combo is out of stock, hopefully i got lucky.

· Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the last pair of Rogers 11s in Brown, but I ordered slim and I have a feeling these are regular. We will see if they can swap them. I love the feel and quality of these waders for 180 bucks

· Registered
4,264 Posts
Buy a pair of breathable waders with a good warranty and don't look back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.