Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could be age ( 67) but seems really good shoots are becoming rare in my area. I keep hearing about the " good old days are now"....hmmmm...please tell the ducks that. We raise far fewer local birds than in my youth and middle age, we have far fewer " honey holes" with consistent water and far fewer acceptable shoreline areas on the lakes...islands are gone....cornfields immediately chisel plowed....gets a bit frustrating. Deer hunters controlling areas once productive for ducks....makes for real challenges for a non great lakes hunter. Thank goodness I can travel for some quality hunting a few times a year. Meanwhile there is always hope for the "next" good hunt wherever it may be...

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I feel your pain. I've found three fields that I saw birds dumping into and on two of them I found the "X" in a big way. Got No's everytime. One time was due to the farmer being sued by tresspasser's and the other said that they let people walk their dogs there and didn't want the dogs shot (which I wouldn't do anyways). Gets hard.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
A good hunt for me has become, not seeing other hunters and or not having the birds skybusted before I can even get a decent look at them lol!
I quit asking for permission to hunt private land years ago..I always got the same answer..we lease to deer hunters and can't have you out there shooting..sorry :(
I did have a couple offers to lease it myself but at $500+ for the limited time I can go doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did have a couple offers to lease it myself but at $500+ for the limited time I can go doesn't make sense.
That's the problem with hunters offering money to folks to hunt their land. All it takes is someone offering money to a farmer to hunt a piece of property that another hunter has been hunting for years for free to ruin it. I understand that money is a great bargaining tool, but once someone gets money for something, they will almost always want money for it every time thereafter and a lot of times, they will want a higher amount of money as more hunters show interest in hunting their land.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
the other said that they let people walk their dogs there and didn't want the dogs shot (which I wouldn't do anyways). Gets hard.
We stopped at a farm on the Crow Indian reservation last spring about turkey, the farmer said he had calfs and didn't want them shot:lol: Lot's of land owners that are really naive or just use default excuses rather than just coming out and saying they don't want people hunting. Stopped at Mel Gibson's old ranch and got "sure, any time" :)

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Could be age ( 67) but seems really good shoots are becoming rare in my area. I keep hearing about the " good old days are now"....hmmmm...please tell the ducks that. We raise far fewer local birds than in my youth and middle age, we have far fewer " honey holes" with consistent water and far fewer acceptable shoreline areas on the lakes...islands are gone....cornfields immediately chisel plowed....gets a bit frustrating. Deer hunters controlling areas once productive for ducks....makes for real challenges for a non great lakes hunter. Thank goodness I can travel for some quality hunting a few times a year. Meanwhile there is always hope for the "next" good hunt wherever it may be...
Funny you mention this, we just discussed this the other day. You're absolutely right> I would argue with anyone that doesn't think MI geese are the hardest to kill let alone hunt..Hiding is SW MI is getting tough, all the fields are getting chisled and the birds are hitting dirt more than a stubble field.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Funny you mention this, we just discussed this the other day. You're absolutely right> I would argue with anyone that doesn't think MI geese are the hardest to kill let alone hunt..Hiding is SW MI is getting tough, all the fields are getting chisled and the birds are hitting dirt more than a stubble field.
I couldn't agree more with you! Last year Joe Balog did an interview with on late season geese for the Rig Em' Right Blogs and after he posted the interview I contacted the guys at Rig Em Right to maybe try and base a show on their Grind series based on hunting late season, heavily educated, smart geese. Mainly to show how the average guy like us have to go out their and give it everything we have, which IMHO puts most of us die hard Michigan boys above a lot of the more famous faces! They did like my idea, however, they had mentioned it can be tough to hide the camera guys on those types of hunts. It can be done and it would be nice to see some guys running traffic or really working hard to get on the kind of birds we have to hunt. This is not Canada!!! I find it boring watching Canadian hunts yet granted you do see a few good American hunts where they hunt educated geese or duck. Just my two cents! Sorry for being long-winded if you made it this far lol.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I couldn't agree more with you! Last year Joe Balog did an interview with on late season geese for the Rig Em' Right Blogs and after he posted the interview I contacted the guys at Rig Em Right to maybe try and base a show on their Grind series based on hunting late season, heavily educated, smart geese. Mainly to show how the average guy like us have to go out their and give it everything we have, which IMHO puts most of us die hard Michigan boys above a lot of the more famous faces! They did like my idea, however, they had mentioned it can be tough to hide the camera guys on those types of hunts. It can be done and it would be nice to see some guys running traffic or really working hard to get on the kind of birds we have to hunt. This is not Canada!!! I find it boring watching Canadian hunts yet granted you do see a few good American hunts where they hunt educated geese or duck. Just my two cents! Sorry for being long-winded if you made it this far lol.
Sent you a PM, we can talk offline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts