Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to get some muskrat furs dried and hanging. In the past I always sold them to my local buyer.

Getting my 5 year old into trapping I would like to get him some mittens made out of some muskrats, does anyone have a suggestion where to send stretched/dried furs to get them tanned and made into apparel?

Not afraid to mail stuff out, I live on the west side.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If you have Facebook look up ‘Darling Leather and Fur’. They are out of Harsens Island. I’m sure there are others but it’s a Michigan company and she does really nice looking work.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
If you have Facebook look up ‘Darling Leather and Fur’. They are out of Harsens Island. I’m sure there are others but it’s a Michigan company and she does really nice looking work.
A google search failed to turn up a non-facebook link to them. Is there any that you know of?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Nobody uses FOXX USA anymore to make fur clothing?

·
Premium Member
9,021 Posts
Furs By Fritz in Swarts Creek. At one time Fritz was the furrier of the trappers of Michigan. He is still around as a search brought up his web site.
I've got a black beaver ice fishing hat Fritz made back in the late 90s. It's awesome!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Try that Etsy link posted above for Darling. That’s her products that she has on hand. I’m sure you can send her a message or look for a phone number to talk about custom orders. I know she recently posted saying that turnaround time is around a year, which is pretty lengthy I guess, but her products look great. I know when I save up the $$ to have a hat made, I’ll be sending some of
my fur her way.

·
Registered
26,525 Posts
Nobody uses FOXX USA anymore to make fur clothing?
The pictures look good in the catalogue but after sending fur there and not being pleased, plus with hearing all kinds of horror stories, I wouldn't gamble on them.

I had dozens of beaver an otter mittens made by the lady that does the furs garments for FnT Post and really liked her work. I can't seem to get ahold of her now, maybe she got burned out or doesn't want to do them anymore?

·
Trophy Husband
2,948 Posts
I had a coyote hat made by Wildlife Minnesota, it came out amazing. The guy is an artist with fur and it is the warmest hat I have ever worn. Then again I have never seen a coyote shivering, (that didn't have mange). I see he now has a shop in Montana. I first sent the hide off to be garment tanned at Tubari got it back then sent it to him.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The pictures look good in the catalogue but after sending fur there and not being pleased, plus with hearing all kinds of horror stories, I wouldn't gamble on them.

I had dozens of beaver an otter mittens made by the lady that does the furs garments for FnT Post and really liked her work. I can't seem to get ahold of her now, maybe she got burned out or doesn't want to do them anymore?
Quite ironically if anyone is interested, this morning on Trapperman Forums there was quite a conversation going on about FOXX USA.

Reactions: FREEPOP

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for all the input, I have a couple outlets to try now. Apparently there is someone locally near Whitehall that does this work too (still trying to figure out how to get a hold of her). Kid and I are up to 8 rats.....so we are getting there.

·
Registered
963 Posts
IMG_0889 (1).JPG

Here is her contact info, and her picture with Muskrat mittens she made for me!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I dont know if I'll go with her cause a year is a long time to wait. But if I catch 3-4 muskrats I might have a hat made with the exterior that red plad like the old timers used to wear instead of blaze orange. If I dont catch enough beaver to make a small blanket I might make the hat out of beaver.

One thing I'll have to prepare for is how often I'll get laid wearing my fur hat all around. Might not have any time for trapping.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
I dont know if I'll go with her cause a year is a long time to wait. But if I catch 3-4 muskrats I might have a hat made with the exterior that red plad like the old timers used to wear instead of blaze orange. If I dont catch enough beaver to make a small blanket I might make the hat out of beaver.

One thing I'll have to prepare for is how often I'll get laid wearing my fur hat all around. Might not have any time for trapping.

You need about 7 rats for a hat and at least a 60" beaver for one.

That was according to Fritz.

1 - 19 of 18 Posts