Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting my first muzzleloader and I am looking for some advise? I have never owned or fired a muzzleloader and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I have been looking at the break open models but the salesman at jay's told me that they are not known to be as accurate as the one piece stock models? He did show me a CVA kodiak and it does look to be a decent rifle with a lower price. thanks for any input...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I heard the CVA Kodiak was a good rifle. I have an CVA Optima Pro. in 50 cal. with the 29 inch fluted barrel. I got it from MidwayUSA.com for $187. Excellent groupings at 100 yards. If you scan them from time to time, you can find a good deal in their inventory reduction section. Reg price is usually around $260. I would recommend a 50 cal over a 45 cal. for sure.

JAS

·
Premium Member
30,833 Posts
My neighbor picked up a 50. cal CVA Optiima at a QDMA banquet and I must say that I was very impressed with it. He mounted a Leupold 3x9x40 gold ring and was shooting, I believe, Hornady balistic tip sabots and driving tacks with it. I really like the 209 primers and break open style.
I'll be looking to replace my Knight T bolt with one this season.

Big T

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I personally own a CVA bolt action...open breach type model.

I would much prefer the break open, it keeps your primer dryer and warmer in the colder months and is easier to load.

209 primers are the best.

As far as consistancy..make sure your barrel has at least a 1:28 twist or lower. Anything higher affects how accurate your bullet will be. Also, the longer the barrel, the more consistant.

So I suggest you get a break open, 209, 1:28 with the longest barrel possible. My dad got his this past fall for $169!

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
Buying a muzz is just like buying a boat. You sooner or later get the dredded "2 foot ittus".
I learned (the hard way with boats ;) ) that you should always buy the rifle/firearm that you really want. Don't just settle for something because of price. Its a good rule of thumb.
There are plenty of muzzleloaders out there that are shooting pretty darn good. In pretty much every case, each rifle will have its own "preferred load and bullet". Some rifles may shoot a 300 gr. bullet and not a 200 gr., or visa versa. There are very reasonable rifles on the market that shoot exceptionally well. A friend that shoots on my range frequently, shoots a CVA 209 Magnum with a Bushnell 3200, 3x9 Firefly. His groups with the 45 cal. Hornady XTP bullet and 150 grs. of 777 are 1 1/2" consistently. No flyers.
I hunt deer EXCLUSIVELY with a muzz and have for over 20 years. Its addicting ;) .
I like many, started out using a side hammer. When Knight offered its MK-85, I immediately purchased one. What a difference! I continued to shoot the Knight until 2 years ago and then I purchased the T/C Encore. I still have the Knight, but the Encore has now become the weapon of choice. The trigger job from Mike Bellm that I just received back, is certainly going to make me more attached to the Encore. The ability to change barrels makes the Encore attractive also.
Just because a rifle is capable of shooting 150 grs. of powder, doesn't necessarly mean that it will shoot it accurately in all cases. Most shooters find that the ol' 100 grs is sufficient and they appreciate the reduced recoil. On the other hand, there is in some cases, shooting the 150 grs of powder (if you like the recoil) is of benefit.
There's going to be a ton of recommended bullet types and loading types that will be presented to you. Be patient with them....;)
The only recommendation that I'd like to give you is, start out with a bullet other than the PowerBelt. There is way too much contraversy with that bullet. Some will say that its the only bullet that they will shoot, but they're becoming the minority very quickly. That statement will surely bring out the best in some additional posts! :D
Muzzleloading is not a specific science. Buy that I mean again that each rifle will shoot differently. Even the same model.
More and more hunters, both male and female, especially in southeren MI are starting to switch from using a shotgun to the muzzleloader. Once you start shooting one, well lets just put it this way: things change.
One positive change will be that you should become a better shot over time. Instead of having a pump or semi-auto, blasting away with 5 shots, you'll realize that you've got one chance to make a clean kill. Mentally it should make you a much better hunter.
Get ready to have some fun! I hope you have a place to shoot, or at least a range close to you. Spend as much time as you can working up the specific load for your specific rifle. Practice, practice, practice! Pay close attention to some of the muzzleloading posts here. There's valuable information being shared in posts on this web site. Some that are not so valuable too........:D .
1st.......... BE SAFE, THEN HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
19,036 Posts
I have owned several but my current one is the best yet in my opinion. It's a 50 cal. CVA optima pro with the 29" flutted barrel. This thing is a tack driver for me.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Cva optima pro magnum 3-9-40 nikon .50 caliber.A great gun.i use the cva powr belts 295 grain bullets.The exit wound is a lil bigger than a pop can.The kodiak is another great gun but i liked the optima better.good luck and i hope you make a good decision
Here is the bullets i use http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012630214373a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=cva+bullets&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=cva+bullets&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

·
Registered
264 Posts
They reason why I recommended the CVA Optima Pro is two fold. First, I believe it is the most accurate and cost effective option of there. If you are lucky you can find one for under $260. I have two friends that have smoke poles that cost over twice that and theirs does not do anything that mine can do, and in some cases, mine is better. Second, if you are new to the sport, then get something that is effective but wont break the bank. The CVA Optima Pro is the ticket IMO. The 29 inch barrel makes this a very, very accurate shooter. Now with that being said, it is a little heavier. But it scopes well. The reason why I bolded "Pro" is because there is an Optima and then there is the Optima Pro. The Optima Pro has the 29 inch barrel. Its a tack driver, no doubt. All the components are steel, and no plastic rod, but steel. I have owned 2 knights and have seen many others. The bang for the buck is there with this dude. And lastly, you may not like the sport. I doubt it, but that could be true. The sport is far more labor intensive than rifle shooting. Cleaning takes much more time. As well as finding the recipe that your rifle likes. E.G. Powder, loads, primers. Speaking of that, if you get the CVA Optima Pro, make sure that you get 209 primers that are made for muzzleloaders. Highly recommend the Remington Kleanbore primers. About $3. Big, big difference in mine. It surely is a lot of fun to get into this sport. Huge and largely varying opinion with different bullets and powder amoung the people in here. I like Powerbelts and 777, others hate them. You just have to find the recipe that fits you. Thats a lot of fun doing though IMO.

All the best....

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If you really want to get into muzzleloading. Its better to save your money and buy a really good muzzleloader. I have a Night disc Extreme with a stanless steel barrel and with the laminated stock and I love it. This year that is the only gun I used for gun deer season. Also get a really good scope for it so you can shoot long shots. The gun and the scope cost me around $500.00 or $600.00 but its worth it. You can look at the night muzzleloaders on this web site. http://www.knightrifles.com/DealerFinder.aspx

Just keep looking around for good prices because they are out there. I found my muzzleloader at Al and Petes in Hastings.

Good luck and let me know what you ended up getting.

Caznik

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have shot a cva apollo 90 inline for years and had great success with it. But
I picked a cva kodiak pro with a synthetic stock and ss barrel and just had to have it. Guess what I got for christmas? I haven't shot it yet but I sure like the feel of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts