Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Get That Rifle or Shotgun Sighted in NOW
Every deer season we read a post or two in which the author mentioned that they hadn't shot their deer firearm before going out hunting in seasons past. I'll say it here and now folks.............That is hugely irresponsible and anyone that doesn't shoot and sight in their firearm before the season starts shouldn't be out hunting! Quite frankly when we see that in here those others who are appaled at such stupidity the moron.........yes, I used that word (you know who!)........who posts such comments should be verbally tarred and feathered by the membership.

There is no excuse for not doing so ladies and gentlemen.......NONE!

We owe it to that magnificent animal, the whitetail deer, to have our weapon and ourself in prime condition to do the job. Deer camp members would be well advised to REQUIRE that all participants in the camp be proficient with the weapon they'll be using before being allowed to come to camp. When a member says that they haven't shot their rifle that guy or gal shouldn't be allowed to hunt on the property and removed from camp if they do go out hunting.

If what I'm saying sounds harsh so be it. A whitetail deer that is wounded due to the irresponsibility of the shooter.......I won't call them a hunter........the results of not sighting in their firearm is not a pretty site.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Good call Milt. I sight mine in every year. It is the responsible thing to do as a hunter plus it is fun to send a few rounds down range!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've also heard people that have thought that having a gun "bore sighted" means that their gun is fully sighted. This is not the case! You still need to sight in your weapon! You should be close to the target but you still need to dial that bad boy in.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My gun has always been right on every year and never needs sighted in...................... just kidding. I heard this every year from a guy for the past 3 years after he misses a deer. ... no joking!

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
BUMP..SET...KA-POW:yikes:

Couldn't agree more!

Anyone headed to the Cedar Rod and Gun club tomorrow, I think their sight-in days start.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I personally wouldnt be comfortable out in the woods if my gun were not sighted in. I like knowing EXACTLY were my bullet is going and it has made it a little tough to adjust to bowhunting.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Its pretty sad a thread like this has to be made, but its necessary. If you want to avoid all the last minute yahoo's at the range dial your weapon in late summer. Those ranges this time of year scare the crap out of me.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys and gals this thread is far too important to be used as another and another, and another.....and (you get the point I'm sure) complaint board. In this case that would refer to those who have, sadly, had the experience of bowhunting and firearms sighting in by neighbors etc. Put that stuff in another thread please.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Sad that some even NEED a reminder! Thanks Whit, been sighting in my gun since April but then again, I love to shoot:)

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Milt will you sight my gun in for me? I'm feeling kind of tired...:lol:
Firearm type?
Caliber or gauge?
No!........................:lol:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
IMO...they should be sighted in EVERY YEAR prior to the season at the very least.

If you haven't yet, do it now. Those that wait until Sat. the 14th can expect some HUGE lines at the gun range. I got stuck one year with a needing to sight in a new scope late and couldn't get out till the weekend before the opener. Waited almost 3 hours at Island lake for a bench. I wasn't going out in the field withouth doing it though.

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
Good reminder Whit.
But I'm way ahead of you. I sighted mine in ten years ago.:dizzy:

·
Registered
128 Posts
On this site, I would expect the sighting in issue to be common sense. We actually set a date to meet at our hunting camp (private land) and sight in at the gun range my brother and I built there. This always occurs prior to bow season and we sight bows in, as well.

Since I don't hunt anywhere else for the opener, I put my gun in the case and leave it at camp once sighted in. No concerns about it getting bumped around. It's there waiting for me now. I can hear it calling me...

I think it's sing "Final Countdown" by Europe....

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Use to check it by shooting the kids halloween jack-o-lantern on the bait pile at first light on opening morning. Now with the baiting ban I will have to do it the evening before in the yard I guess. Seems like last year it was hitting low and to the left........or maybe it was high and to the right.......hmmmm........I think I wrote it down somewhere. I should go look for it. Thanks for the reminder. :D

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
We should just sticky this for a few days... or I could just bump it 10 times an hour!!!:lol: man this particular forum scrolls fast this time of year!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Whit,

It's a little harsh calling those people a moron (me included)
I myself feel very comfortable that I'll hit what I'm aiming at with the rifle.
I won't be sighting in the rifle this year.
As a matter of fact the rifle that I'm taking I've only shot it 8 times in the last 3 years.
After it was bore sighted I did take 5 shots to make sure it was on the mark. And I’ve shot 3 deer with it and all the holes were right were I aimed.

More or less
I've shot thousands of rounds out of a rifle
I'm very good at hitting the target and I take very good care of my rifles. Not everybody needs to sight there hunting rifle in every year.

But then again I've been called worse by better people.

Good luck this year and have a safe hunt.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks for the heads up....I can't get my Muzzy until a few days before season so I will sighting in late...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts