Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

German Meatballs

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Frantz 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yesterday afternoon I was doing something out in the garage and came it to take a break for a little while. I walked into the family room and USA Network was on the TV. They were doing a cooking segment on one of their movie series. I just heard them say something about "German Meatballs". It sounded good so it caught my attention. They briefly put it together but didn't give the measurements but they said that if you wanted the complete recipe to head on over to their web site and get it. Well I did and I sure am glad because I made it for dinner and we all loved it. It's easy to do and it was awesome. Here's the recipe....

German Meatballs
(meatballs with sauerkraut)

2 pounds hamburger (I used ground round)
1 envelope Onion soup mix
1 cup bread crumbs
3 eggs (beaten)
1 bottle (12 oz.) chili sauce
1-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 can (16 oz.) sauerkraut (drained)
1 can (16 oz.) whole cranberry sauce

In a bowl combine hamburger, soup mix, bread crumbs, and egg. Mix well. Shape into balls and place in 9x13 inch baking dish. In a saucepan combine chili sauce, brown sugar, water, sauerkraut, and cranberry sauce. Mix well while cooking over a low heat until it begins to boil. Pour over the meatballs and cook at 325 degrees F for two hours.
This meatball recipe will serve 4-6.

This recipe is great as an appetizer - just make smaller meatballs.
Meatballs freeze very well - so make extra and put them away for a night you don't want to cook.
Use these meatballs in your lasagna to give it extra heartiness.

If you like meatballs do youself a favor and give this one a try. I'm sure you'll enjoy it !

John

See less See more
#2 ·
I read this recipe and decided to make it for dinner last night. Pretty much had everything on hand. It was a really big hit with all of us. 2 thumbs up x 6!

Next time, I'll take some ground venison out in time to thaw instead of beef.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.