Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tornado Jim
19,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know that Michigan was the birthplace of the first trail camera pictures? George Shiras invented the camera trap, a flash and trip line system for capturing photos of animals at night. LINK: Camera Trap Pioneers: George Shiras

His early efforts produced amazing pictures of deer that were published in the National Geographic in July 1906, with the whole issue devoted to his pictures.

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
I did not know that. The only thing I knew about him is there is a park named after Shiras.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
I was not aware that Michigan held that honor either, thanks for sharing that information.
One of the earlier crude but effective designs also triggered by the use of a "trip" wire.

·
Tornado Jim
19,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was not aware that Michigan held that honor either, thanks for sharing that information.
One of the earlier crude but effective designs also triggered by the use of a "trip" wire.
Wow Don. Can't believe I knew something about trail cameras that you didn't.

Aren't those great shots?

Shiras was also active in fighting for the 1921 one buck rule that led to the growth of the Michigan deer hunting industry.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
Outstanding pictures, I was totally blown away by the quality of them. This has turned into a very interesting thread for me and for more reasons than just the obvious now.
Chris [Camera Trap Codger] and others who share the same interest have helped shorten my learning curve immensely, now if I just had some of the same type subject variety to work with like those who frequent the areas of their world.....;)

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Wow Don. Can't believe I knew something about trail cameras that you didn't.

Aren't those great shots?

Shiras was also active in fighting for the 1921 one buck rule that led to the growth of the Michigan deer hunting industry.
Hmmm,....1 buck rule and the growth in the Michigan deer industry all in the same sentence? This Mr Shiras knew more than just cameras I'll tell ya. Cool stuff here fellas, thanks for sharing the information.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,384 Posts
Thanks for sharing those. Lots of intrique for those interested in history.

George Shiras III is buried here in Marquette, and his personal papers are stored in NMU's archives. There are multiple reminders of him and his work throughout town.

He was a congressman from PA before moving here and was involved in authoring a Migratory Bird act. A personal friend of Teddy Roosevelt, he identified a sub species of moose in Yellowstone which was named the Shiras Moose.

I first learned of his photos while reading Wegner's Legendary Deer Camps.

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
He was a congressman from PA before moving here and was involved in authoring a Migratory Bird act. A personal friend of Teddy Roosevelt, he identified a sub species of moose in Yellowstone which was named the Shiras Moose.
I thought he was the same Shiras but I did a brief Google search this morning and couldn't confirm it. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Did you know that Michigan was the birthplace of the first trail camera pictures? George Shiras invented the camera trap, a flash and trip line system for capturing photos of animals at night. LINK: Camera Trap Pioneers: George Shiras

His early efforts produced amazing pictures of deer that were published in the National Geographic in July 1906, with the whole issue devoted to his pictures.
I did not know that. Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Those pictures a clearer then some of the cameras out there now.Thanks for sharing I thought cameras came out in the nineties.Shows i am not the brightest light.

·
Tornado Jim
19,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Outstanding pictures, I was totally blown away by the quality of them. This has turned into a very interesting thread for me and for more reasons than just the obvious now.
Chris [Camera Trap Codger] and others who share the same interest have helped shorten my learning curve immensely, now if I just had some of the same type subject variety to work with like those who frequent the areas of their world.....;)
To me Don the picture of the two spotted fawns looking at the camera is haunting.

They live such brief lives, and yet, from our perspective Shiras' life has come and gone in distant time. Yet he achieved something that survives beyond mortality and is eternally beautiful and timeless.

Can you imagine the amount of work it took to achieve those images?

·
proud to be a.......
8,877 Posts
Interesting thread.

Above left: Never before had any one actually seen a beaver working on a tree, this is the very first photograph ever of such.
Middle: Shiras himself floating in his boat taking random flash pictures.
Right: The supreme results of one of those random flash pictures.

http://dayoopers.com/fame1.html

I thought cameras came out in the nineties.Shows i am not the brightest light.
:lol:......So you probably don't know what one of these are.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Interesting thread.

Above left: Never before had any one actually seen a beaver working on a tree, this is the very first photograph ever of such.
Middle: Shiras himself floating in his boat taking random flash pictures.
Right: The supreme results of one of those random flash pictures.

http://dayoopers.com/fame1.html

:lol:......So you probably don't know what one of these are.....

I did not mean cameras I meant trail cameras.I can remember the old phone in my uncles farm house that would ring a certain amount of times for different houses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts