Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shot 4-5 decent bucks in the last 10 years and always found that the deer with the bigger racks are much smaller in body mass. My pole barn is the local hanging spot and I have seen atleast 20 other nice deer hanging and noticed the same thing. I have shot 3 bucks that dressed out between 180-200Ibs. with very subpar racks and typically 5 or 7pts. I have shot 2 better than average deer that scored between 120-135 and both dressed out at 145-150Ibs. range.

Is this just poor genetics or does this mean that the deer with better racks have more testosterone and energy and burn the calories off faster.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I have shot 4-5 decent bucks in the last 10 years and always found that the deer with the bigger racks are much smaller in body mass. My pole barn is the local hanging spot and I have seen atleast 20 other nice deer hanging and noticed the same thing. I have shot 3 bucks that dressed out between 180-200Ibs. with very subpar racks and typically 5 or 7pts. I have shot 2 better than average deer that scored between 120-135 and both dressed out at 145-150Ibs. range.

Is this just poor genetics or does this mean that the deer with better racks have more testosterone and energy and burn the calories off faster.

Just an observation.
when are you shooting them? Normally your better genetic deer (the bigger bucks) are rutting alot harder than inferior deer...i.e. burning more calories, thus losing more weight.

Also, if they are younger deer with bigger horns...say a 2 1/2 yr old 120"+ he is putting more into his horns than a normal deer would. Normally a deer's body doesn't reach maturity until 4 yrs old...and thats why their horns grow so much that year...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have shot all of them during bow season from October 24 - November 11. But I have seen deer in my pole barn from others anywhere from Oct.1 all the way through Muzzleloading. I expect them to be a little thin come December due to the riggers of rutting but not October.

·
Premium Member
30,938 Posts
Deer are individuals just like people and will show different physical attributes from one deer to the next. I shot a 3.5 you buck 3 years ago that was a 7 pt. that wouldn't score 90" and the following year I shot a 3.5 yo that had 13 pts and scored 158"+, both deer scaled at 175 lbs.
Here are a couple of examples of bucks in our area that are drastically different in every way.
This buck is only a 7 pt., probably scales at near 300# in this pick and we believe he's at least 5.5 years old.

This buck is a nine point and probably scales at around 210 lbs in this pic and we believe he is only 2.5 yo. I believe he'll probably score as high or higher than the buck above.

If you're killing bucks that hang at 180-200 lbs you're killing older more mature bucks and you're doing a lot of things right...don't screw it up by trying to manipulate genetics...you'll only be disappointed.

Big T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts