Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Yep...when he grows up a bit :)
Might make for a pretty unique rack next year! Any mature buck is a good buck...but very, very few make it to their 2nd B-day.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was just wondering if he should of been takin or not i passed him up he has 4 points on one side and only 2 on the other,takin does mostly to help out

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Looks like a pretty good buck....I'd leave him! The only exception might be if you were in a fenced operation or controlled thousands of acres, but even then I'd wait another year to make sure that wasn't an injury or something. At the same time, looks like a 2.5 year old and if that's what you are going for...I'd shoot him regardless of the number of points.

Right now I have some bucks in the area that have already shed 1/2 their racks. If I have a true mature buck in..at least 3.5 years old or older, I'll happily shoot him with 1/2 a rack. It's not about the score of the rack, but enjoying and partaking in the challenge of hunting a mature buck. If that buck fits the age class you are after, I'd wack him! Give me a 250# bruiser 4.5 year old 6pt any day and I'll be thrilled to shoot him, regarless of only having "6pts".

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
He'll be a beauty next year. If ya have enough meat i'd let him walk

·
Administrator
17,564 Posts
His genetics will always be the same.
<----<<<

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Joe Archer said:
His genetics will always be the same.
<----<<<
That's definately a true statement. I suspect the original poster was really wanting to know if other's thought this buck will ever have trophy status, something genetics have some control over, as do other dynamics.

Although the buck's genetics will never change, it's antlers can change quite a bit through the years given a chance. We now know there is much more at play in antler development than just genetics, quality food and soil, social stress, late births and injury can all influence antler growth. So many variables that it takes time to be able to judge what potential can be achieved.

Since this is a relatively young deer, I don't think I can really judge it's genetics. I think I'd have to follow the deers development over a couple years to make that judgement.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sib,thanks,yes thats what i wanted an opion on,i know its hard to tell if he will ever be a good buck in 2 years im looking forward to seeing what he looks like next year. i had him right under me several times this year and i didnt see any signs of injuries. our land we are trying to manage for the future and i dont want bucks breeding like this if thats the results,,thanks

·
Banned
3,359 Posts
Genetics in wild deer have been unchanged for thousands of years.

Genetics have never been a problem in wild deer, however; age structure is an entirely different subject.....................

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes i agree maybe genetics was the wrong termanalogy,but when you have brother and sis mating it could be genetics lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts