Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Need help, looking to get a generator to power the house. A 6500watt or so.
Every web site i go to for reviews has good and bad ones for ever generator I look at. As soon as i am ready to pull the trigger on one i get turned away.
Any you guys can recommend?

thanks

·
Registered
18,233 Posts
Honda is good, yamaha doing better , onan's too.
How often you plan on running it? A couple times a year or for full time off grid use? Permanent standby or portable?
I ran a generac 5500 portable occasionally for decades but tired of the manual start and for my use downsized to a 3500 champion that suits me fine. Won't run the house by any means but the fridge/freezer and furnace no problem.
A friend had a install on a standby whole house generator. It runs periodically as scheduled for a brief time and requires preventive maintenance like all engines;oil changes,spark plugs, air filter but sure is convenient being automatic if he is home or not. Too the weather when a generator is needed seems to be the most inconvenient for frogging around with a portable, for me anyway.
The link below should meet your 6000 watt requirement. Only ideas for you to consider. Not saying this price the best or you must buy one or promoting seller. Cost to install correctly must be considered too of course.

http://www.norwall.com/products/Gen...o-Whips-6519?gclid=CND99szc7MICFUto7AodPmYAMQ

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
going for a portable. I have the house hooked up to run the furnace, fridge, chest freezer and pump. I would also like to run the well pump and hot water heater (knowing that i would have to kill off some of the other appliances while i use these).
Looking at a Generac 6500E. would like the electric start so the wife would have no worries.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am a generac technician dealer and installer. I would recommend a generac home standby unit. No messing around with getting a portable out its all automatic with the transfer switch you literally lose power and in 10 seconds you are up and running and haven't left the couch:) But would recommend a twin cylinder as they hold up longer. If you are looking for a portable Honda makes a great unit and so does generac. If you need more info or questions about it pm me and I'd be glad to help. This is the one I installed today.

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks tingoose. will do i think portable for now as we always would have use at the property and would like to power a small cabin one day which we would use for a hunting shack.

maybe a permanent one after i figure out if i am buying/redoing this house or buying a different one.

·
Registered
18,233 Posts
going for a portable. I have the house hooked up to run the furnace, fridge, chest freezer and pump. I would also like to run the well pump and hot water heater (knowing that i would have to kill off some of the other appliances while i use these).
Looking at a Generac 6500E. would like the electric start so the wife would have no worries.
Good reviews on the 6500. Price point not bad either.
Depends on budget and convenience; and importantly your preferences to go any other route.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Very good unit and should take care of your needs no problem. Very useful if you can travel with it to other locations and get use out of it. Like any smaller engine these days run premium and we run synthetic in ours just to keep the life longer.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Very good unit and should take care of your needs no problem. Very useful if you can travel with it to other locations and get use out of it. Like any smaller engine these days run premium and we run synthetic in ours just to keep the life longer.
I started using multi grade synthetic oil in our generator a few years back and found cold weather operation greatly improved. I also started using "Rec Gas" for all my small engines, its a few cents more a gallon, no ethanol/alcohol, it's 90+ octane and unless your not using it for long periods of time you don't have to put any Stable or Seafoam in it. ;)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips greatly appreciated. Going to pull the trigger on it soon. Many good reviews on it. Tingoose is there a break in period with these? I am assuming it would be in the manual.

Thanks for the comments.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
655 Posts
MGarret88,

I bought a Rigid 6,800-Watt Idle Down
(8,500 peak) Gasoline Powered Electric Start Portable Generator with Yamaha MZ360 from Home Depot ($999). The reviews were pretty good. Here is a link - http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6...Yamaha-MZ360-RD906814P/203183985?N=5yc1vZbx9n

BTW - Is that house
in the photo where you installed the Generac located in northern Livingston County? It looks really familiar.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
I have a generac 5000 watt with automatic start. It has a seperate electrical panel that all "generator powered circuits" get ran directly into. When you are running regular shore power, everything operates as normal. When the power goes out, the generator kicks on and only applies power to the circuits located directly in its box. No need to shut off any other breakers in order to avoid backfill.

I run mine on propane (actually the only thing I have that runs propane). Mine auto cycles once per week to charge the batteries, warm the oil, check the system and so on.

I run my well, some lights and outlets, garage door opener, freezer, fridge, microwave, television, hot water heater. Everything I need. I have geothermal heat and my generator isn't big enough to power my well (water for the geothermal), hot water heaters, and other things I need. Make sure you get the size that will run EVERTHING you need.

My two cents.... get an on demand running propane or natural gas. You will never have to worry. If you have the need to operate a portable, buy a cheap one that will do the job. You will save yourself a ton of trouble, time, and other issues. Portables are nice, right up until you run out of gas at 2 am, have to teach someone else how to set it up, run it outside to avoid asphyciation, listen to the noise, turn circuits on and off downstairs, go away with the power out and come back 4 hours later with the power on and the generator still running.

I have a couple portables that work great when I need them, but I never want to have to hook it up when the power goes out at 3 am in an ice storm.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i believe the one i am looking at is a 8125 peak. don't think i will be running well pump too much. but its in my consideration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts