Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone please advise if this area last year or even this past weekend holds a lot of birds or is it over hunted?

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Just a friendly reminder that thousands could possibly read this.
Naming a place isn't beneficial.
I kinda get what you are saying.... just a thought here but isnt this the entire point of the GEM units? Getting thousands interested in the sport. They create these habitat areas to attract people to the areas. They publish tons of detailed information on these areas to get the uninformed to come out and be successful.

I guess to me asking about conditions at a GEM area would be like asking about conditions at a managed waterfowl unit like fish pont or shiawassee.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I kinda get what you are saying.... just a thought here but isnt this the entire point of the GEM units? Getting thousands interested in the sport. They create these habitat areas to attract people to the areas. They publish tons of detailed information on these areas to get the uninformed to come out and be successful.

I guess to me asking about conditions at a GEM area would be like asking about conditions at a managed waterfowl unit like fish pont or shiawassee.
Great point, but go ask the waterfowl guys, they get all riled up about kill counts at managed units.

With technology it is just changing the game, internet scouting is the norm now.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Great point, but go ask the waterfowl guys, they get all riled up about kill counts at managed units.

With technology it is just changing the game, internet scouting is the norm now.
I know. I have been involved in many discussions supporting the old kill charts at the managed units for waterfowl.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Been there a few times with mixed success. Some nice cover but it is spreed out.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts

Yes it is the point.My take is if someone answered his question and said it is holding a lot of birds is that the following weekend it would be holding a lot of bird hunters.(More than normally)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Just a friendly reminder that thousands could possibly read this.
Naming a place isn't beneficial.
Me thinks you are over estimating the power of the press!

Hal

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Yes it is the point.My take is if someone answered his question and said it is holding a lot of birds is that the following weekend it would be holding a lot of bird hunters.(More than normally)
Which should be a great thing in my mind.

On the other hand if nobody answers his question or if someone were to tell him not to even ask he might not go and have a positive experience at a GEM. I believe that is what DNR would intend. Bottom line is the GEMs are there to improve hunter recruitment. The more the better.

I cant say that i have really been to any GEMs yet during season but are we experiencing over crowding at any of them? Is it to the point that you cant find a place to hunt there? I would think if it got to that point they could be managed like a waterfowl area.

I started out waterfowling in managed areas. It was a great way to learn the ropes inexpensively. I havent hunted a managed waterfowl area in 20yrs but I hunt every year. I guess I view GEMS with the same mindset.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts